• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia cricketers ability to come back as better players

Xuhaib

International Coach
how many sub cont players have made a successful comeback?

Misbah, Laxman, Younis, Asif, Dilshan, Zaheer any others?

Andre

International Regular
Hilfenhaus and Siddle the latest 2 to be left out and come back much better cricketers.

I wonder if the straight talking and introspection that is part of the Australian nature has anything to do with the way they come back from being dropped - there aren't all that many people sitting there telling you how good you are here when you're struggling, so we tend to acknowledge that we have to change to succeed. Might not nessesarially be the same across all cultures.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Younis is a different case..he wasn't exactly dropped for poor form...there were other issues.

Misbah was lucky that Yousuf leaving for ICL and Inzamam retiring in 2007 coincided.

Sorry...do you mean Younis making in a comeback in 2005? Yes that was a great comeback and he has credited Bob Woolmer totally for the guidance.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

No offence as I was still very young when it probably happened but did Younis and Laxman come back? Also, wasn't Asif's departure due to his own stupidity?

In response to this thread, yeah it does seem to be a way of life for most Australians. I still think Hughes at least will come back successfully.

Spark

Global Moderator
The major difference between Hughes and Clarke, Hayden, Langer, Martyn is that the latter were all picked when in form and with plenty of FC runs in the bank, having had sufficient time to readjust their game/mindset.

Hughes didn't and wasn't.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No offence as I was still very young when it probably happened but did Younis and Laxman come back? Also, wasn't Asif's departure due to his own stupidity?

In response to this thread, yeah it does seem to be a way of life for most Australians. I still think Hughes at least will come back successfully.
Asif was picked on the 2004 tour to Australia..he went wicketless in the only test he played..wasnt very impressive. He then made a phenomenal comeback against India in 2006...he was brought back into the side by Woolmer..Asif and Younis were two of Woolmer's biggest achievements as the coach of Pakistan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ford Ranger?
After ING but before Ryobi. The OD tournament names have just got progressively worse.

I think the sponsorship dollars have been getting progressively lower as well; I'm actually surprised they still televise it as I'm sure there's more interest in the Shield these days.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hawkie was an alco, went of the turps, then like Ponting and Hussey, came back with a bang at 83 in Sydney.

WAFG.

Midwinter

State Captain
Its also goes down through grade cricket and it's the same in the various types of football that is played as the winter sport.

You perform well, you go up a grade, if you don't perform well you can be dropped a grade.

The system is set up so the best can get to the top but that also means there is always pressure in order to stay there.

If someone comes up, someone goes down and they need to improve to get back up.

It is no shame to get dropped and then work your way back. It goes on all the time, at all levels.

The anger at the previous Australian selectors wasn't just because of the poor selections, it was due to the ignoring of the system by persisting with poorly performing players. Not giving them a chance to regain some form at a lower level, ( which also means players at that level have to compete a higher standard, lifting the own game) while denying players at the lower level the opportunity of a chance at the top level.

This resulted in a perception of a "talent drought" when it was simply a subversion of the normal system.