• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Javagal Srinath

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I thought it will be nice for a Pakistani guy to initiate the topic for an Indian hero recently retired.

I think he was an under-rated bowler. He had good pace and could cut the ball beautifully off the seam and had good length and line. I would go as far as saying that he was on par with Kapil as far as talent goes. Kapil could do more with the ball but Javagal was quicker for a longer part of his career.

And above all he was a true gentleman, and out of the few left in the game one more departs. Eat your heart out Steve Waugh and Glen McGrath.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yes, a great fast bowler, and a true gentleman... I never saw Kapil so I couldnt compare them, but Srinath was definitely in the top ten pace bowlers for a lot of the 90's... A consistent performer for India in very trying conditions.. He will be missed....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't agree to the comparison with Kapil...atleast not a Kapil in his prime....no way IMO....but otherwise I agree with you...a very good bowler.....very unlucky bowler.....who has served Indian cricket sincerely for many years....and a very nice human being to boot....

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
He really was the example to many of the young Indian fast bowlers of today. Kapil might have started them, but Srinath kept the dream alive. Its a shame he had to retire just when he is geting good support from the likes of Nehra and Khan. Hopefully they will employ him as their bowling coach to make use of his experiance.

masterblaster

International Captain
Srinath will definitely be missed, i agree with what roy and others have said, he was a real gem of a bowler to have in the squad.

I remember when i had the pleasure of talking to him in 1999, he certainly proved to me that there are some famous people who are actually down to earth, and Srinath is one of them. I remember, an Aussie single mom and her kid were their at the time as well, and Srinath was playing hide and seek around the trees with the young lad, despite not knowing them at all.

A very nice moment, and a very nice guy as well. I hope Srinath still continues with cricket in some way, shape or form either in coaching or in the media.

Craig

World Traveller
If I had my way and I was the big cheese in the BCCI, I would be getting in touch with him and giving him a job as a fast bowling coach/talent scout even if he isnt a qualified coach.

Definatly he could be made to great use from u-19 level downwards. And that he would be well respected in India would help.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sri was awesome. I'm sad that he's retired, especially after his World Cup performance. He had a great tournament and helped Zaheer & Nehra a lot.

He was an excellent fast bowler, and an even better person. So long Sri, and thanks for the memories and the great performances.

Bouncer

State Regular
He is one guy who i realy admire..i think he was a better fast bowler than Kapil Dev....he used to beat the bat so often and was very unlucky on many occeasons...in 1996 he improved alot...but did not realy stay the same for long. To me the best Indian fast Bowler Yet.

i think he was major contributor to Indian team and had a good career and he deserves recognition for that.
I have seen him make many good batsman strugle with the new ball he had quite good control and he had an Odd very good ball specially the one that leaves the left handed batsmen.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I was sitting behind him one row on a plane once and he was chatting the whole time to the man in front, just a random guy on the plane... he was askin all about the mountains and lakes and he just seemed so friendly and genuine!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Kim a stupid question, completely unrelated to this topic....

I have heard many people with similar stories with celebrities, but I dont get something, were you sitting in first class, or was he sitting in the coach class like all of us other losers?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not entirely convinced.

His Test average was 30 and in ODI's, 28, which is quite bad, according to Ian Chappel (He said Gough's average of 28 was not good enough, compared to McGrath's 21). Of course, he had pathetic support bowlers, but that's as good as making excuses. Besides, he was never really that good when needed. No away series victories. No World Cup. Anyway, he did his bit and contributed a lot to Indian cricket. Pity that was not enough. But....cricket is a team game.

It's about time the young ones improve their bowling and stick to a proper line and length. There's also the need for someone of genuine pace. This absence has weakened the team a lot.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Arjun said:
I'm not entirely convinced.

His Test average was 30 and in ODI's, 28, which is quite bad, according to Ian Chappel (He said Gough's average of 28 was not good enough, compared to McGrath's 21). Of course, he had pathetic support bowlers, but that's as good as making excuses. Besides, he was never really that good when needed. No away series victories. No World Cup. Anyway, he did his bit and contributed a lot to Indian cricket. Pity that was not enough. But....cricket is a team game.

It's about time the young ones improve their bowling and stick to a proper line and length. There's also the need for someone of genuine pace. This absence has weakened the team a lot.
First of all well played to srinath....if you compare that average to other indian fast bowlers than you will realise that its pretty good...he was certainly one of the best indian fast bowlers i have come across along with Kapil Dev. Both have almost got the same average in tests and ODIs....but if you want to compare these bowling figures to Mcgrath then u will certainly be dissappointed as he is one of the best in the world......i hope zaheer, nehra and other young indian fast bowlers can do some good for the indian future.

amits

Banned
guys, in bowling there are 10 wickets only and they have to shared among all bowlers and in odis, only 5-7 wickets fall on an average and all bowlers take that.

so a bowling average says nothing about a bowler, especially an indian fast bowler as most of the indian bowling is dominated by the spinners. most of the times it is fast bowlers creating spots helping the spinners to take wickets and so these bowlers who deserve to take wickets, dont take it and the bowlers who dont deserve, take it.

on another note, a strike rate tells more about a bowler than the bowling avg.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
amits said:
It does?

Not IMO it doesn't.

In Tests, for regular bowlers, it's average and in ODI, it's a combination of Eco and Avg,

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
He was a good player for India over the last decade and will be missed. An average of 30 when playing most of your cricket on Indian pitches is admirable. He did beat the bat a lot and could be considered unlucky I suppose but really should have the pitched the ball up a little further. That was the error in his game. he would have got heaps more wickets had he done this. By pitching a little short the ball did too much and beat the bat. It would be good if he could be utilised as a coach because good pace bowlers are as rare as hen's teeth in India.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
amits said:
guys, in bowling there are 10 wickets only and they have to shared among all bowlers and in odis, only 5-7 wickets fall on an average and all bowlers take that.

so a bowling average says nothing about a bowler, especially an indian fast bowler as most of the indian bowling is dominated by the spinners. most of the times it is fast bowlers creating spots helping the spinners to take wickets and so these bowlers who deserve to take wickets, dont take it and the bowlers who dont deserve, take it.

I cetainly agree with you that strike rate tells more about a bowler...but that doesn't mean you just ignore the bowling average of a bowler, it certainly plays a part in a players bowling figures. Indian spin bowlers have always dominated as they couldn't find a quality fast bowler as yet... Fast bowlers do create spots which help spinners and it makes them a bit unlucky and the spinners lucky...but in the end fast bowlers should have enough skills, ability and variety to take wickets early on.

Kimbo

International Debutant
royGilchrist said:
Kim a stupid question, completely unrelated to this topic....

I have heard many people with similar stories with celebrities, but I dont get something, were you sitting in first class, or was he sitting in the coach class like all of us other losers?
Both the Indian and NZ sides were in economy class. There isnt enough space for whole teams is there! Was on a fairly small plane from Christchurch to Queenstown. Accidentally ended up on the plane with the players after booking my flight for the wrong day, had to rebook!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
oh ok, from your post I thought it was just srinath and not entire NZ and Ind teams. you are lucky I guess, as I have never had a brush with any celebrity on a flight, even though I have done quite a bit of air travel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Farewell to Javagal. I too hope he finds a niche in coaching or scouting, as his talent would otherwise be wasted.
Never knew any of this stuff about what a nice guy he is - good to hear, as fast bowlers don't always have the best of names.
For me, as with Kapil, his Test average is disappointing - both far better bowlers than their averages suggest. Kapil at least had a good one-day record and Srinath's final ODIs (last of all excepted) showed much improvement on much of what had gone before.
If Kapil and Javagal Srinath had been English and of equal ability their international records would IMO be something like those of McGrath, Donald, Ambrose etc.