• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Sachin misses out on 100 centuries

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Its like saying Vettori is over rated as a batsman since he was a tailender for the first half of his career.

He's been poor for a while but for atleast 6-7 years he was good enough to get in to many sides purely on his bowling. I think that should classify him as a genuine allrounder.
The problem with that example is, Vettori did not start off as an allrounder...he was a bowler who developed his batting. He was not an allrounder before...as opposed to Kallis who started off as an allrounder and now is just a batsman who can bowl. So Vettori has actually improved in terms of being an allrounder whereas Kallis has gone backwards in terms of being an allrounder.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that's just because it's been taking a while...you can't expect people to not start talking about 100 centuries once someone hits 85-90-95 centuries just like you talk about players getting a century when they get to 80-90 in an innings...

If he scored a bunch on the trot and got there fast...there would be much less hype.
Possibly, but the rest of the world were giggling at the hype before the WC when it was all about Tendulkar getting his 100th ton in the final etc.. now they are joining in with it all.

bagapath

International Captain
Them's mighty big words, bagapath. I hope, for your sake, that you're just pissed off because you've just misplaced your algebra textbook.
ha ha.. i lost them long ago, mate.

the bad people i know in your city are my ex gf's parents. will unleash them on you one day. that will teach you a lesson.

but seriously, why did you bring up my opinion on kallis' style when i am talking about sachin's 100th international century which i think is just a media created hype?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Possibly, but the rest of the world were giggling at the hype before the WC when it was all about Tendulkar getting his 100th ton in the final etc.. now they are joining in with it all.
Yea, it was definitely the WC where the countdown really began.

Hey I'm not criticizing people who don't care about the record - I don't care at all for ODI records either, but I'm just pointing out that if you're going to measure records in the first place, IMO this is a reasonable achievement to look forward to and to count as a significant accomplishment. Consider how far away the #2 guy is from having a hundred international centuries.

Last edited:

Burgey

Wasn't really my point. Flipperty said the Indian media are the only ones going on about the 100th intl century milestone and I said that's blatantly not true.

I cannot remember the last time a non-Australian cricketer was on the front of the Sydney Morning Herald, the country's major broadsheet paper.
The same muppet, four years earlier tbh.

bagapath

International Captain
Yea, it was definitely the WC where the countdown really began.

Hey I'm not criticizing people who don't care about the record - I don't care at all for ODI records either, but I'm just pointing out that if you're going to measure records in the first place, IMO this is a reasonable achievement to look forward to and to count as a significant accomplishment. Consider how far away the #2 guy is from having a hundred international centuries.
kinda agree with you SS. but consider the no of five-fers murali has taken in international cricket. there was no such hoopla when he completed his 75th haul. he finished with 77. the next man on the list is richard hadlee at 41. isnt that an equally, if not more, worthy achievement as sachin's record of 99 hundreds?

the indian media's hype machine is churning out crap to keep its coffers filled and we are falling for it. see! tendy is a magnificent batsman. one of the best ever. but he is not "the" greatest of all time, which is what this artificial century of centuries is supposed to establish.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
ha ha.. i lost them long ago, mate.

the bad people i know in your city are my ex gf's parents. will unleash them on you one day. that will teach you a lesson.

but seriously, why did you bring up my opinion on kallis' style when i am talking about sachin's 100th international century which i think is just a media created hype?
I just reckon you can't ignore the sheer weight of numbers when it comes to Kallis v Sobers if you're going to rate a Test 100 v Bang over an ODI 100 v Aus.

I'll take on goons and get beaten up badly, but I refuse to handle the girls' parents. You win.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
kinda agree with you SS. but consider the no of five-fers murali has taken in international cricket. there was no such hoopla when he completed his 75th haul. he finished with 77. the next man on the list is richard hadlee at 41. isnt that an equally, if not more, worthy achievement as sachin's record of 99 hundreds?

the indian media's hype machine is churning out crap to keep its coffers filled and we are falling for it. see! tendy is a magnificent batsman. one of the best ever. but he is not "the" greatest of all time, which is what this artificial century of centuries is supposed to establish.
Murali's achievement is equally fantastic, IMO. Undoubtedly his achievement wasn't praised to the heavens dwu to his nationality, but that isn't reason to not rate any such achievement by any other player, IMO.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There was a lot of hype about Murali's 800 wickets too. But those aggregate runs/wickets records don't make you wait forever, so it didn't last long.

bagapath

International Captain
I just reckon you can't ignore the sheer weight of numbers when it comes to Kallis v Sobers if you're going to rate a Test 100 v Bang over an ODI 100 v Aus.
I never ignore the weight of numbers. i prefer a more exciting, stylish cricketer to a methodical accumulator. thats all. and to be fair, kallis' records is not bolstered by minnow bashing. he is more successful against the big teams than even tendulkar and lara. yes, he has a problem with english conditions and had never scored a hundred against SL till yesterday. also he was batting like a cadaver until three years ago. now all that has changed. still, he is no sobers yet; and he puts me to sleep. but i certainly respect the numbers he has piled up. in fact, his achievement of 20000+ runs with 50+ centuries and 500+ wickets in international cricket is simply staggering. it is probably the most super human achievement cricket has seen in all its history. 99 hundreds sounds not so big next to this.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But it's obvious that people like big even numbers...10, 50, 100, etc. Scoring a 99 isn't much different to 101 yet we aren't counting how many scores above 90+.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

I'll take on goons and get beaten up badly, but I refuse to handle the girls' parents. You win.
I'm happy to handle the parents..as long as I get the girl in the end

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I never ignore the weight of numbers. i prefer a more exciting, stylish cricketer to a methodical accumulator. thats all. and to be fair, kallis' records is not bolstered by minnow bashing. he is more successful against the big teams than even tendulkar and lara. yes, he has a problem with english conditions and had never scored a hundred against SL till yesterday. also he was batting like a cadaver until three years ago. now all that has changed. still, he is no sobers yet; and he puts me to sleep. but i certainly respect the numbers he has piled up. in fact, his achievement of 20000+ runs with 50+ centuries and 500+ wickets in international cricket is simply staggering. it is probably the most super human achievement cricket has seen in all its history. 99 hundreds sounds not so big next to this.
Sorry to be pedantic..his record against Australia is good, not great.

Zinzan

Grrr, so tempted to create a "Why is Kallis so criminally underrated?" thread number 857 now