• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Sachin misses out on 100 centuries

Satguru

Banned
Ponting and Dravid definitely.
Please... Ponting: failed in India time and again when the team needed him, apart from a decent 2008 tour.
Dravid: Frankly awful record in SA, and has been terrible against the best team of the generation Australia, apart from that one 2004 tour against the worst australian attack in ages.
Both guns, obviously, but cant really see how you would call their records more complete than Kallis

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
Please... Ponting: failed in India time and again when the team needed him, apart from a decent 2008 tour.
Dravid: Frankly awful record in SA, and has been terrible against the best team of the generation Australia, apart from that one 2004 tour against the worst australian attack in ages.
Both guns, obviously, but cant really see how you would call their records more complete than Kallis
8-) Do some more research mate.

Satguru

Banned
You think Kallis is a better batsman than Ricky Ponting? Not now, but overall?
Not at all. I consider Kallis the batsman inferior to Lara and Tendulkar by a decent margin and inferior to Ponting by a narrow margin. Im just saying, that when you look at his record statswise, batting and bowling, its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.
Its terribly unfair to Kallis though. No matter what he does, no matter how many runs he scores, people still underrate him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not at all. I consider Kallis the batsman inferior to Lara and Tendulkar by a decent margin and inferior to Ponting by a narrow margin. Im just saying, that when you look at his record statswise, batting and bowling, its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.
Its terribly unfair to Kallis though. No matter what he does, no matter how many runs he scores, people still underrate him.
Ah I see what you mean.

He's like the Ken Barrington of this generation I suppose.

TumTum

Banned
its easy to see why coming generations will look back at his record in awe and proclaim him the greatest AR ever.

Did you just contradict yourself?

Nothing unfair about it. People judge him by how he's played, not just stats.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Though tbf, I am kind of hoping he retires at the end of this series without getting a 100.

Because guess what - his last highest score after getting the 99th century is...94. How epic is that? 99 centuries with a 94. And then you retire.
More symbolic would be 96 though, ending up 4 runs short of the milestone.

Satguru

Banned
Did you just contradict yourself?

Nothing unfair about it. People judge him by how he's played, not just stats.
No i didnt, i said people underrate him now, theyll give him his due credit down the line. And whats wrong with how Kallis plays? Dont tell me he's boring or he's ugly to watch, because thats nonsense. Lots of former greats werent entertainers and are still considered legends. Everyone cant be Lara.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AWTA. Kallis is the cricketer of his generation, IMO. I was just pointing out that bagapath is on record stating that Kallis puts him to sleep, and he doesn't seem to use his amazing algebraic skills when comparing him to Sobers.
I don't think he's boring - I think he's selfish. Awesome cricketer though but wouldn't say 'the' cricketer of his generation.

Zinzan

I don't think he's boring - I think he's selfish. Awesome cricketer though but wouldn't say 'the' cricketer of his generation.
Surely he's the no.1 contender. Who do you think would be? I can only assume your thinking McGrath, Warne or Murali considering Kallis has virtually the same sort of batting record as Ponting Lara or Tendulkar (actually a higher average than any of them) along with a mere 271 wickets. For me even if Kallis only had 100 wickets @ 35, he'd still be ahead of any of those three, forget the 271 @ 32.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Regardless of what the averages say, I would take Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar by far over Kallis as batsmen. And it's not because of his rate (though a faster rate does help). I'd put him in a class below those three (which is not an insult).

Uppercut

I don't think people are appreciating just how funny it would be if it actually happened. It would get to the point where India were carrying a guy in his 40s who hadn't scored a century in years, praying that he finally gets a hundredth century so they can get rid of him. And he never would. Not even against Bangladesh. Eventually he'd just have to admit defeat and save himself the embarrassment.

Zinzan

Regardless of what the averages say, I would take Ponting, Lara and Tendulkar by far over Kallis as batsmen. And it's not because of his rate (though a faster rate does help). I'd put him in a class below those three (which is not an insult).
When it comes down to choosing between Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar & Kallis solely as test batsmen, it really comes down to personal preference since there's really nothing in their records. I totally understand & accept that you happen to prefer Ponting & Sachin. However if you're looking at the best 'cricketer' of the 4, you just can't ignore Kallis' 271 wickets, it just takes any subjectivity of the equation & makes it a total slam-dunk. I don't understand how people miss this fact. It's like one of the ATG test batsman just happens to also have 271 wickets @ a better average than most pace bowlers going around today.

I'm still waiting for your player of this generation SS?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate have you seen how much the Australian press going on about it?

Commentators of all sorts also talking about it, including those generally immune to hype such as ABC Grandstand.

The cover of the Sydney Morning Herald had a picture of Sachin with a headline something like "100 SCG tests 100 Sachin international centuries?"
The Australian media is not a lot better than the Indian media...or actually to put it differently...corporate media all over the world are pretty similar when it comes to quality.