• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Sachin misses out on 100 centuries

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
really annoys me when test cricket snobs downplay odi cricket and the records associated to it. You may not like if but for 80% of cricket fans globally that is the sports premier form so deal with it. An Afrid or Yuvraj will always be more recognizable globally then a Cook or Prior.
I dunno, I've thought for a while that ODI's popularity has suffered more than tests due to 20/20. And Afridi would be massively popular in any case, so don't agree with that example

World Cup is still huge though, obv.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't see why it would be remembered if he stayed on 99. Not like he has 99 test tons is it?

This 100 100's stat is manufactured tripe of the worst nature by Indian press, BCCI and indian fans. Almost as boring as IPL.
Mate have you seen how much the Australian press going on about it?

Commentators of all sorts also talking about it, including those generally immune to hype such as ABC Grandstand.

The cover of the Sydney Morning Herald had a picture of Sachin with a headline something like "100 SCG tests 100 Sachin international centuries?"

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The whole thing annoys me when every time he goes out to bat, people are thinking, "can he get a 100". It's not a simple ask scoring a ton and in any other case you wouldn't even bring it up until someone get to say 70. You can't be excepting someone to get a ton from the beginning of the innings.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mate have you seen how much the Australian press going on about it?

Commentators of all sorts also talking about it, including those generally immune to hype such as ABC Grandstand.

The cover of the Sydney Morning Herald had a picture of Sachin with a headline something like "100 SCG tests 100 Sachin international centuries?"
Yeah it's been everywhere. Personally, I couldn't give a toss, but I like cricket being the in the paper and in the media spotlight.

WallSt

Cricket Spectator
Neither, it would go down as the funniest thing ever to have happened. No exceptions.
Pretty much this. I don't think Sachin retires before 40th birthday. And if can't hit it by then, well this will probably be used by every single Sachin critique for the rest of eternity. What would be funnier was if he got out on 99 in his last test and retired with 99 hundreds. Oh lord

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
A Test 100 against Bangladesh is also not the same as a Test hundred against Australia. I also look forward to bagapath pretending that the mathematical equivalence between Kallis and Sobers is proof that Kallis is no longer the sedative he is claimed to be.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd like to see Tendulkar get out for 99 in the last match of this series and then retire. Then the record would definitely be up there with Bradman's.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A Test 100 against Bangladesh is also not the same as a Test hundred against Australia. I also look forward to bagapath pretending that the mathematical equivalence between Kallis and Sobers is proof that Kallis is no longer the sedative he is claimed to be.
Of course it's always difficult comparing players of different eras, however the one thing we can safely say about Kallis is that he's streets ahead of Lara, Ponting, Tendulkar or Dravid as a cricketer considering his bowling exploits. It continues to astound me how underrated the guy is. I've often though if he was English, Australian or Indian with that record, he'd be considered almost super-human.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
AWTA. Kallis is the cricketer of his generation, IMO. I was just pointing out that bagapath is on record stating that Kallis puts him to sleep, and he doesn't seem to use his amazing algebraic skills when comparing him to Sobers.

Last edited:

Satguru

Banned
Frankly i find it ridiculous that people simply refuse to admit how phenomenal Kallis really is. He's got tons of runs, in all sorts of conditions, has 250+ wickets at a damn good average, has the most MoM awards of any cricketer in history. Imo, he deserves to be mentioned alongside Sobers and Imran as one of the three greatest allrounders of all time. In fact, im going to call him the greatest AR ever from now on, just to annoy those people who say "He isnt fit to tie Sober's laces". Personally, I still consider Sobers the greatest, but Kallis is catching up very quickly, and when he retires, ill do a rethink, and im pretty confident he'll give sir Garry a run for his money. Its all just nostalgia, imo, people just dont want to admit that a player as 'current' as Kallis can be considered better than Sobers. :dry:

A decade or so down the line, everyone will agree with what im saying here. Lots of people will slowly realise just how awesome Kallis was. :cool:

@topic Itll be hilarious and sad at the same time. Its just a shame Sachin didnt get the 100th 100 out of the way in the West indies series. Would have taken a lot of pressure off his back and im confident he'd have played better than he has on this tour

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No he doesn't.

I wouldn't call him an all-rounder, his batting far outweighs his bowling.
Yeah Ajit Agarkar was an all-rounder - when you are talking about test cricket his batting standard was agonizingly close to his bowling standard.

If Donald Bradman bowled like James Anderson, he wouldn't have been an all-rounder - because of the same reason you stated ('his batting far outweighs his bowling').

Last edited:

Satguru

Banned
No he doesn't.

I wouldn't call him an all-rounder, his batting far outweighs his bowling.
And sobers' batting doesnt outweigh his bowling? :dry:
And i know, Kallis hasnt been flash in England and Sri Lanka, but you've got to keep in mind he does most of his batting in the toughest country to bat. He seriously has one of the most complete batting records this generation along with SRT and Ponting.Im just going to stop, because ill get no support from anyone, everyone's just going to blindly say Kallis isnt close to Sobers with no good reasons to really back it up. Again, i say, wait 10 years, people will rate him close to Sobers

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Could have gotten it today if he'd bowled.
I don't deny that he is as good a bowler to have taken all the Aussie wickets in a whisker. But whether he would have got time to make a century after that would depend on how long it would have taken for the first 2 Indian wickets to fall. :dry:

Last edited: