• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Sachin misses out on 100 centuries

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
May get annoying that when you don't care you get it rammed down your throat by all facets of the media regardless tbh.

Not that this is my position, but I can see why it would grate.
This is why it annoys me, only ODI's that matter are world cups to me. Couldn't give a stuff that he has close to 50 tons in this format.

His 50 test tons is an incredible achievement and more should be made of it than has been.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
May get annoying that when you don't care you get it rammed down your throat by all facets of the media regardless tbh.

Not that this is my position, but I can see why it would grate.
Well if its being rammed down your throat by all facets of the media then that would imply that more people care about it than the Indian fanboys :p.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Though tbf, I am kind of hoping he retires at the end of this series without getting a 100.

Because guess what - his last highest score after getting the 99th century is...94. How epic is that? 99 centuries with a 94. And then you retire.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is why it annoys me, only ODI's that matter are world cups to me. Couldn't give a stuff that he has close to 50 tons in this format.

His 50 test tons is an incredible achievement and more should be made of it than has been.
To be honest, as much as I am sick of every man and his dog going on about the record, Tendulkar's 48 tons in ODIs is not to be sniffed at.

Sure, with the exception of Jayasuriya he's played about 100 more ODIs than anyone else, but only Ponting and Jayasuriya have come within half of Tendulkar's ODI record. Ganguly is 4th in the all time list with 22 centuries, which IMO speaks volumes for just how good Tendulkar has been in that form of the game.

Shri

Mr. Glass

Meh you are English. You shouldn't care about ODIs full stop.:ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
really annoys me when test cricket snobs downplay odi cricket and the records associated to it. You may not like if but for 80% of cricket fans globally that is the sports premier form so deal with it. An Afrid or Yuvraj will always be more recognizable globally then a Cook or Prior.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Though tbf, I am kind of hoping he retires at the end of this series without getting a 100.

Because guess what - his last highest score after getting the 99th century is...94. How epic is that? 99 centuries with a 94. And then you retire.
nah he will never retire without the 100th ton. As much as we can respect and admire him but most cricket fan know the guy has a bit of stats whore in him

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It won't be forgotten because of how much hype there's been for it, so yeah if by some miracle he doesn't get another international hundred I see it being treated as a similar stat.
Agree with this. After all the hype over the last 9 months, it would be quite big if he never got it.

really annoys me when test cricket snobs downplay odi cricket and the records associated to it. You may not like if but for 80% of cricket fans globally that is the sports premier form so deal with it. An Afrid or Yuvraj will always be more recognizable globally then a Cook or Prior.
Sadly I agree with you :(

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This.

Till about a couple of years ago it was taken very very seriously. T20's arrival spoiled that. If ODIs were not important, so many of them wouldn't have played 100s of them. Even Dravid was positively distraught when he was dropped from ODI team in 2007. So all this snobbery that ODIs dont matter is, don't know how else to put it, complete bull****.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
That's more a nationalility thing too though. Cook could well lead us to an ODI world cup, then beat Tendulkar's test runs record, and your statement would still be true.