Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Mentally more difficult - batting or bowling?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batting

15 100.00%
  • Bowling

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is mentally more difficult at the top level - batting or bowling?

Which is mentally more difficult at the top level - batting or bowling?

I was a psychologist in my former career, and it has always fascinated me to watch the mental battles that players go through, especially in tests. I have often wondered (not being a world-class allrounder myself) which is mentally tougher at the test level out of batting or bowling.

In some ways I think batting, because if you make one mistake you're gone. This is even worse for openers because the ball does more.

In other ways I think bowling, because with batting you have 10 other guys that can pick up the slack if you fail, unlike bowling where you're part of a pack of 4 or 5 guys.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Would you like an apple or an orange?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I know the textbook answer is that they're incomparable.

But I do think that psychological factors make up a greater proportion of a batsman's quality than a bowler's. Concentration is more of a key skill, pressure situations are more common (speaking solely for tests) and the short-term fluctuations are pretty insane. Whether you miss or nick a good one early on in an important innings can define your entire career.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

I would say a bowler would find it more difficult in shorter formats while the batsman would find it harder in longer formats.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Batting. Always.
    RIP Phil Hughes. You were destined for cricketing glories!
    Come back strong Sean Abbott. It's not your fault.

Batting. One ball and you're gone etc...
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

In short formats. Bowling period.

In Tests. Batting period.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Batting, since one mistake and you're out. A bowler has many chances to redeem himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Batting most mentally draining and thus demanding surely. You pretty much have to be performing in one way or another pretty much for the entire time you are out in the middle. I know bowlers will have to concentrate in the field and so on, but people tend to forget that a batsman has an important job to do when he is not on strike, constant vigilance is required for running etc... From my (albeit limited) experience, going back to fielding after bowling an over definitely seems like a "rest", if you can call it that. Whilst being at the non-strikers end whilst batting meant that you still have to be ready to gun it on the call of your partner.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Maybe it's a technical rather than mental thing, but bowlers seem to be able to learn to bat more easily than batsman learn to bowl.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Wasn't Freddie originally picked as a batsman though?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well he always spoke of himself as a batsman who bowled, despite what was painfully obvious to the rest of us.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I think that at the int'l level it is tougher being a good bowler than a good batsman.

Most conditions seem to support batsmen.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Maybe it's a technical rather than mental thing, but bowlers seem to be able to learn to bat more easily than batsman learn to bowl.
    I'd say that's down to a few factors - batting ability in bowlers is far more important than bowling ability in batsmen.

It's also generally easier to guage this improvement because generally speaking everyone has to bat at some point. Who's to say that someone like Alistair Cook hasn't massively improved as a bowler over the last couple of years? If that improvement still means that he's of little to no use as a bowling option, then you don't get to see that improvement. Whereas someone like Monty Panesar improving from averaging 5 to 10 is easier to see, and a number 11 being capable of averaging 10, whilst still making him a crap batsman, will lend itself to situations where his batting will be quite useful.
    ​63*

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I'd say that's down to a few factors - batting ability in bowlers is far more important than bowling ability in batsmen.

It's also generally easier to guage this improvement because generally speaking everyone has to bat at some point. Who's to say that someone like Alistair Cook hasn't massively improved as a bowler over the last couple of years? If that improvement still means that he's of little to no use as a bowling option, then you don't get to see that improvement. Whereas someone like Monty Panesar improving from averaging 5 to 10 is easier to see, and a number 11 being capable of averaging 10, whilst still making him a crap batsman, will lend itself to situations where his batting will be quite useful.
    I guess I was more thinking Gillespie being able to score a 200, and various other bowlers becoming centurions, than Monty-esque batting. But yes, you make a fair point, and it would be interesting to see how good a batsman who was a fairly rubbish bowler (with a bit of talent in there) could become if he had to bowl regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information