• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Talk About Cricket Grounds Better Than The Sydney Cricket Ground

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Gabba used to be good when you'd be stuck in traffic on the side that allowed you to see all the action through the gaping hole in the stadium. Not the worst traffic jam to be in, tbh.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The Kotla has no business being on that list. It's a skeletal monstrosity.

Honestly, it's got a face only an architect who's lost his spirit-level could love.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bankstown Oval

Basin is THE best ground I've been to for watching cricket. However, the stands are incredibly ugly and I could quite imagine that for your average fan walking in for the first time, you'd think urgh. Of the grounds I've been to:

Cricket Watching Experience

1. Basin Reserve
2. Pukekura Park
3. Lord's
4. MCG
5. The Oval
6. SCG
7. Old Trafford
8. The County Ground, Chelmsford
9. The Rose Bowl, Southampton
10. McLean Park
11. Lancaster Park
12. WetSpac Stadium
13. Eden Park

The Basin has a lot of things going for it. Taking in your own food, being able to play on the turf in the lunch break, the variety of seating. No big signs telling you what you're not allowed to do. Pukekura Park is similarly fantastic, but it is a little small for a really good match. Lord's a clear 3rd for mine. MCG, The Oval and SCG fairly close. MCG in particular depends on your seats somewhat. SCG let down by (certainly when I went there) not selling any alcohol at all and some of the stands have pretty poor views from what should be decent seats. The MCG walkup is superb, a real build up to the action ahead with people walking up from all directions. 7 -- 10 are all decent, but have significant flaws. McLean Park should be good, but it doesn't quite work for my money. The Rose Bowl was an absolute bitch to get to, meaning you often missed the start of the game.

9,10 and 11 a long way adrift. Cricket shouldn't be played there IMO.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was under the impression that my favourite ground was better than your favourite ground. But after reading this thread, I've come to realise that your favourite ground is actually better than my favourite ground.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Find it hard to argue with SeamUp tbh, Newlands is just absolutely stunning. When I get rich the first thing I'll do is ditch my family for Christmas and go to a full five days at every one of these grounds.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For a watching experience and a consistently fair to both bat & ball pitch, Trent Bridge is hard to top.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of English grounds, Edgbaston is really good fun, usually a decent pitch, and the crowds are enthusiatic and for the most part genuinely entertaining. Really didn't like Headingley though, also quite boisterous but in a more aggressively alcoholic way. The prettiest ground is Arundel.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking of English grounds, Edgbaston is really good fun, usually a decent pitch, and the crowds are enthusiatic and for the most part genuinely entertaining. Really didn't like Headingley though, also quite boisterous but in a more aggressively alcoholic way. The prettiest ground is Arundel.
It's in Birmingham though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Newlands always looks stunning. Like a ground with a quick pitch as well. Only ever been to Lords, the Oval and St Lucia.