• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Talk About Cricket Grounds Better Than The Sydney Cricket Ground

hazsa19

International Regular
Headingley is awesome. Have only ever seen us getting tonked there yet remember them as some of the great days I've had at the cricket.
Yep, I was there for the Ashes 09, and SA the year before. Still a great day in the Western Terrace though!

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, I've had a few great days watching England at Headingley over the years, most of them watching them get beat mind, the atmosphere is unbeatable there but because it's my local ground, I actually really enjoy going down to the Oval or Trent Bridge both awesome in there own right and have their own individual atmosphere's.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wembley, Lord's, The Oval, heap of Prem grounds, Wimbledon, Twickenham, plus the Olympic stuff...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wembley, Lord's, The Oval, heap of Prem grounds, Wimbledon, Twickenham, plus the Olympic stuff...
And the world's ****test climate.

So you've said cricket and football, with two weeks' worth of tennis a year.

Whoop de do.

I love London, but I wouldn't say it's a massive sporting city.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Any reasons why?

Looks like any other uniform stadium in the world tbh, apart from the pavilion.
Nah, the SCG's a pretty special place. Difficult to really put it into words too well with just a week's experience, but my feelings were that it combined the sense of history that you get at Lord's with a flavour of the atmosphere and personality that you get at an Edgbaston, or - I imagine - Headingley (I try to avoid Yorkshire).

It's much more of a cricket ground than the MCG, which is an arena and a stadium, but still an incredible place to watch cricket - either (i) when there are 90,000 people there or (ii) when you've just retained the Ashes. Both better grounds than any of the English set I've been to (Lord's, Oval, Taunton, Bristol, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And the world's ****test climate.

So you've said cricket and football, with two weeks' worth of tennis a year.

Whoop de do.

I love London, but I wouldn't say it's a massive sporting city.
Mentioned Twickers as well, and anyway, Wembley covers off Footy & RL, Lords & Oval cover off Cricket (and um Archery), Wimbledon covers the Tennis, you've got a load of professional sporting outfits in various sports, and like I said you can add all the Olympic stuff as well, though I've no idea of the legacy that will leave.

Sport isn't the first thing I think of when I think of London but in terms of the amount of major sporting venues that are there, it's pretty high up the list.

As for climate, could have sworn I saw you whingeing earlier in this thread about getting too much sun in one of the ****ty old stands at that SCG hellhole (:ph34r:) so, um, zip it prick

Burgey

Mentioned Twickers as well, and anyway, Wembley covers off Footy & RL, Lords & Oval cover off Cricket (and um Archery), Wimbledon covers the Tennis, you've got a load of professional sporting outfits in various sports, and like I said you can add all the Olympic stuff as well, though I've no idea of the legacy that will leave.

Sport isn't the first thing I think of when I think of London but in terms of the amount of major sporting venues that are there, it's pretty high up the list.

As for climate, could have sworn I saw you whingeing earlier in this thread about getting too much sun in one of the ****ty old stands at that SCG hellhole (:ph34r:) so, um, zip it prick
I was using football in its proper sense, a generic term for all the codes.

London isn't Webley or sport ffs. London is Covent Garden, dinner at Clos Maggiore, the Royal Opera House, West End theatre, the Tower, shopping in Regent Street and Saville Row or a walk through Regents Park.

And the Spearmint Rhino, of course.

Apart from the malodorous consequences of your being in my country, it would have been funny seeing you sitting in the sun the other day and watching you turn into a balding tomato.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

London isn't Webley or sport ffs. London is Covent Garden, dinner at Clos Maggiore, the Royal Opera House, West End theatre, the Tower, shopping in Regent Street and Saville Row or a walk through Regents Park.

And the Spearmint Rhino, of course.
I agree that sport isn't necessarily the first thing that comes to mind when you think of London although Wembley will always be right up there as one of the things I've associated most with the city; as you roll in from the north to Euston it's pretty much the first thing you see.

TBF the main things I associate with London are overpriced beer, Australian bar staff and people rushing like madmen to catch the tube even though another is due in 90 seconds

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Apart from the malodorous consequences of your being in my country, it would have been funny seeing you sitting in the sun the other day and watching you turn into a balding tomato.
There is a poster here who has witnessed this happening in ****ing Cardiff so I do concede that this would be funny

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Burgey is correct; Manchester, Glasgow and Liverpool would fit the bill more than London, despite all of London's venues.

Burgey

I agree that sport isn't necessarily the first thing that comes to mind when you think of London although Wembley will always be right up there as one of the things I've associated most with the city; as you roll in from the north to Euston it's pretty much the first thing you see.

TBF the main things I associate with London are overpriced beer, Australian bar staff and people rushing like madmen to catch the tube even though another is due in 90 seconds
Why do they rush like that? It's weird as.

hazsa19

International Regular

Yeah, more people shop at Saville Row than visit Lords, Wembley, Wimbledon and Twickenham.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Burgey is correct; Manchester, Glasgow and Liverpool would fit the bill more than London, despite all of London's venues.
Nah, Liverpool doesn't, IMO. It could make a claim to being England's (note England :p) premier footballing city just by virtue of having more titles than any other but the city is so football-obsessed that there's little room for much else.

Bear in mind that the Royal Liverpool Golf Club which hosted the open a few years back and is doing so again soon is not in Liverpool.

I guess it depends what you're looking for though. As I said, I was thinking from a venue point of view.