• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Talk About Cricket Grounds Better Than The Sydney Cricket Ground

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, Dean Park Bournemouth is a fabulous ground for cricket. Don't think they play first class anymore, but it's a lovely ground.

Just checked it on Wikipedia and it's still used by Dorset, but Hants haven't played there since 1992. Mind you, I did see a Dorset vs. Hampshire friendly there about 10 years ago. One of two first class cricket grounds I've played proper cricket on.

hazsa19

International Regular
Of all the English cricket grounds, my favourite for watching is Edgbaston. Not much to look at, but the atmosphere and the cricket more than makes up for it.

Trent Bridge is a close second. It's pretty and produces spicey cricket.

Lords is wonderful, historical and all that, but oh so disappointing. Half the crowd would rather eat lunch than watch cricket. It's also little unsettling when you realise just how much you want to bottle some nearby toffs with their Champagne.

Never had the pleasure of watching cricket overseas, but I would visit Adelaide and Cape Town first.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Of all the English cricket grounds, my favourite for watching is Edgbaston. Not much to look at, but the atmosphere and the cricket more than makes up for it.

Trent Bridge is a close second. It's pretty and produces spicey cricket.

Lords is wonderful, historical and all that, but oh so disappointing. Half the crowd would rather eat lunch than watch cricket. It's also little unsettling when you realise just how much you want to bottle some nearby toffs with their Champagne.

Never had the pleasure of watching cricket overseas, but I would visit Adelaide and Cape Town first.
AWTA, the constant chatter around the ground is quite annoying as well. No atmospheere.

Pothas

For a watching experience and a consistently fair to both bat & ball pitch, Trent Bridge is hard to top.
Trent Bridge is damn good, not been since the new stand though.

Nothing can quite beat Lords for me but Oval not far off, roof top terrace that I lucked my way into for 5th day against India is the best view I have ever had for any sporting event.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The Basin is a lovely ground though, even if the scoreboard has needed a serious upgrade for the past 10 years.

But the best ground I've ever been to is the Harare Sports Club. Nothing beats watching the game from the President's box with the jacarandas in bloom.

Last edited:

Pothas

AWTA, the constant chatter around the ground is quite annoying as well. No atmospheere.
Not sure that is fair, I actually love that chatter, does not matter if they are talkig about cricket. Best atmosphere I've experienced at Lords have actually come in domestic one day finals, really good days they were.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not sure that is fair, I actually love that chatter, does not matter if they are talkig about cricket. Best atmosphere I've experienced at Lords have actually come in domestic one day finals, really good days they were.
To be fair, I've only ever gone to one ODI and no domestic games. The chatter can be nice but hardcore fans are hard to beat.

stephen

I've only been to the Gabba and the Adelaide Oval and the Adelaide Oval at the time was half torn down. The Gabba is nice, with some special memories but it's a little bit sterile with its uniform stands. The Adelaide Oval was beautiful but freezing cold in the Chappell stands. The wind cut right across the ground. I imagine it would be a lot better now though. Great place to watch cricket though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Trent Bridge was ****ing fantastic when I went there last year. Amazing. Lord's is obviously awesome too, but one get the feeling that is the history and aura moreso than the actual ground. Though the slope is an awesome wildcard!

Went to the SCG for the first time today. Absolutely amazing ground. The MCG is the better sports ground by a long way, but I'd agree that the SCG is better to watch the cricket.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, Trent Bridge is excellent.

Headingley still my favourite ground. Its being so close to my house is really what elevates it at this stage, though, TB is the only one I'd rather have in its place.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Headingley is awesome. Have only ever seen us getting tonked there yet remember them as some of the great days I've had at the cricket.

Gilly Fan

U19 12th Man
Nah the G' is stacks better. Not only an awesome ground, but it's also part of one of the best sporting complexes in the world. The Australian Open, MCG and AAMI Park for soccer and rugby all within a few hundred metres of eachother.

Let's talk about sporting cities better than Melbourne. There is none. Cheerio.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing they should seriously try to improve at Sydney is the seating on the Eastern side of the ground. Basically after about 2pm three quarters of the O'Reilly Stand seats are in baking sun, which is why 3/4s of them were empty today.

Should have the roofs of the stands extend to the edge of the field of play IMHO. I'm sure it's possible.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah the G' is stacks better. Not only an awesome ground, but it's also part of one of the best sporting complexes in the world. The Australian Open, MCG and AAMI Park for soccer and rugby all within a few hundred metres of eachother.

Let's talk about sporting cities better than Melbourne. There is none. Cheerio.
Thats like saying the SCG is great because the SFS and Randwick race course are within walking distance of it.