• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Virat Kohli test material?

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Looks like Virat won't score unless you give him a no-swing no-extra bounce surface. Do you think India should give him a long run in test cricket? Or Cheteshwar Pujara and Manoj Tiwary? Aren't they better test players?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Kohli will be a good player at home BUT

he just hasn't got the right technique to succeed at test level away from home. Pujara and Sharma are better options.

Burgey

I think Kohli will be a good player at home BUT

he just hasn't got the right technique to succeed at test level away from home. Pujara and Sharma are better options.
How would we know? He keeps getting out before we get a decent look at him :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
As I posted in the tour thread.

People are being too harsh on Kohli. Give him some time to bed in even the current Kohli will average mid 50's in sub cont and mid 30's abroad giving him a cumulative average of mid to late 40's which is still very good and if he improves his overseas play he will be a genuine 50+ avg batsman imo. I agree his game is tailored towards batting on slow and less moving tracks, the way he premeditates on the middle stump and brings his bat down in an arc will get him in to trouble on seaming and swinging conditions however he is not a hopeless case like Raina and there is every bit possibility he can improve.

Its not easy for a sub cont batsman to adjust to new conditions young Sachin was a freak he scored heavily in all his first away tours people should just remeber Inzi's first tour to England and Dravid's first trip to Australia to see how difficult it is to make adjustments.

Jayzamann

International Regular
As much as I'm enjoying him not succeeding currently, I'd enjoy it much more if he found a way to reinvent himself and set the test world alight at some point in the future. He's still young.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
As I posted in the tour thread.

People are being too harsh on Kohli. Give him some time to bed in even the current Kohli will average mid 50's in sub cont and mid 30's abroad giving him a cumulative average of mid to late 40's which is still very good and if he improves his overseas play he will be a genuine 50+ avg batsman imo. I agree his game is tailored towards batting on slow and less moving tracks, the way he premeditates on the middle stump and brings his bat down in an arc will get him in to trouble on seaming and swinging conditions however he is not a hopeless case like Raina and there is every bit possibility he can improve.

Its not easy for a sub cont batsman to adjust to new conditions young Sachin was a freak he scored heavily in all his first away tours people should just remeber Inzi's first tour to England and Dravid's first trip to Australia to see how difficult it is to make adjustments.
Inclined to agree. Not sure he'll average 50+ but Kohli has the potential to be a class test batsman.

mono

U19 Debutant
Kholi has major attitude issues. Unless he gets his temperament sorted out he can't succeed at test cricket.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kholi has major attitude issues. Unless he gets his temperament sorted out he can't succeed at test cricket.
AWTA, looks fairly compacked when batting. I reckon he can definitely do well, whether he will is a different matter.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Can see him doing a AB De Villiers. Probably reverse of AB's home and away records though.

Zinzan

Can see him doing a AB De Villiers. Probably reverse of AB's home and away records though.
You're not seriously comparing Kohli with de Villiers are you ? Steady on, let him get a test century first would ya :p