• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Virat Kohli test material?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
AB had a pretty similar start to test cricket too and has only kicked on in the past 3 odd years, after gunning it in ODI's. (Though, he started a bit slower in ODI'S too).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agree with Cevno. Someone else started their career slowly and is now gunning it so the same thing will definitely happen to Kohli.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Was GF always such a bad poster, or is he running through a rough patch?

Don't see where Cevno has even given the hint of a 'definitely'. He's hinting at a 'possibility', makes a prediction. And when Zinzan rules it out as a weird prediction, Cevno says why it's not such an impossible thing to happen...

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Back to the thread topic, Kohli is definitely test material but India has better options at the moment. He shouldn't have played these 2 tests.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Back to the thread topic, Kohli is definitely test material but India has better options at the moment. He shouldn't have played these 2 tests.
I think Rohit Sharma is a better option for a start.

Himannv

International Coach
Personally I like watching him bat. I'm not too fond of his personality but I'm not too bothered about it either. I think he has the potential to be the next great batsman for India.

Xuhaib

International Coach
these are difficult batting conditions and some great batsman around him are not covering themselves in glory. He's no way near a finished product as I thought before this series but he does have the batting basics to become a quality test batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah it's funny how Laxman who 12 months ago was the game's biggest match winner is getting completely owned, and Gambhir who rightly or wrongly was a highly ranked test batsman only 24 months ago can barely last a ball but Kohli is the one that is being judged already so early in his career based on his performances. Writing someone off so young is crazy.

Today he copped a really good ball. That's it.

First test first innings dismissal was piss poor, and that's his issue right now. Feeling for it.

I was at the game today and was disappointed when he got out but no where near as disappointed as I was on day 2 of the MCG test when I was sitting there seeing him feel outside off stump. He badly need to get that out of his game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kholi has major attitude issues. Unless he gets his temperament sorted out he can't succeed at test cricket.
He acts like a tool, no doubt but saying his attitude is holding him back is one of those things people rattle off without any evidence simply because they've heard others say it.

He's not going out slogging when his team needs him to knuckle down, there are no reports of him missing practice or training, and he's probably the fittest cricketer in the Indian test team (Dhoni the only real competitor).

Being a whiny douche is totally different to having a bad attitude as a cricketer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Opener? Struggling against quality out swing and you want him to open?!!
Don't think it's necessarily the right move, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of him, Sharma or Pujara pushed up to open at some stage over the next year or two. Get a few series doing it against some struggling teams and a bit of confidence, and any of them might end up making it their own, much like Sehwag.

Funnily enough, AB De Villiers early poor record was largely made up of him opening, and since he's moved down the order he's become much more formidable.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would be such a backwards step for India if they make Kohli or Sharma open. Would be a move typical of them back in 2004 when they made Yuvi open.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not at all. Legitimate question to ask if he's test class now. His test career has been a struggle.

To write his whole career off is ridiculous.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not writing him off. But at the moment who do you think will do well given a long run? Kohli, Rohit or Pujara?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would be such a backwards step for India if they make Kohli or Sharma open. Would be a move typical of them back in 2004 when they made Yuvi open.
Yeah if they want to squeeze in an extra middle order bat (other than Rahane who they see as an opener) then Dravid just has to open.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not writing him off. But at the moment who do you think will do well given a long run? Kohli, Rohit or Pujara?
I get the feeling they'd all do well at home and struggle in unfamiliar conditions at the moment. Rohit strikes me as the one most likely to hold his own away while I think Kohli's the most likely to boss it at home. None of them are lost causes though; I have high hopes for all three plus Rahane.