• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you prefer watching a paceman or a spinner rip through a side?

Who would you rather see at peak performance?

• Total voters

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Loved to see Warne bamboozling the opposition, but the greatest sight in cricket ever has to be Waqar destroying the stumps with his in-ducker.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing though, if it is your side doing it you don't care which bowler it is and what they bowl as long as you win.:p

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I don't think I've ever seen a pacer dominate a lineup to the extent Warne or Murali did, though that is probably due to the fact that they could bowl longer spells.

Regardless, there was a feeling of utter helplessness and despair when Warne/Murali at their best ran through your team. Like they were totally unstoppable.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think I've ever seen a pacer dominate a lineup to the extent Warne or Murali did, though that is probably due to the fact that they could bowl longer spells.
Sabina Park in March '04 was before your time presumably? - still can't believe that actually happened actually - I'll away to youtube to check

smash84

The Tiger King

Regardless, there was a feeling of utter helplessness and despair when Warne/Murali at their best ran through your team. Like they were totally unstoppable.
I am not sure about this.

To me personally (might be biased watching the Ws bowl at their peak) a fast bowler on song seems unstoppable. And with a spinner it always seems somewhat easier to take the attack to.

I remember Waqar with the old ball. Would clean up sides so quickly.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
One thing though, if it is your side doing it you don't care which bowler it is and what they bowl as long as you win.:p
Alternatively, if it's the other side doing it, you grow to hate the style that is ruining you. Although I appreciate Murali, I hate watching him bowl to the BCs because we just couldn't figure him out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Loved to see Warne bamboozling the opposition, but the greatest sight in cricket ever has to be Waqar destroying the stumps with his in-ducker.
Yep, Waqar seemed to defy physics with the lateness of his swing. As often as not it was a hapless Englishman whose furniture was rearranged, but it was very hard not to admire the man's bravura talents. Utterly thrilling to behold.

As much as I like to see a great spinner in action, for sheer visceral excitement I'd take a quick as a personal preference. For largely the same reasons as I enjoy boxing more than tennis. One admires the artistry of the latter, but the possibility of blood on the canvass appeals at a more primal level; facing up to a quick genuinely tests a batsman's mettle. With the protective equipment they wear nowadays batsmen aren't likely to get seriously hurt (thankfully) but (as Kallis bouncing the rabbitish Fernando in the first test showed, after he'd first been discomforted by a bumper from the latter) a quick can still make a batsman hop about & it isn't much fun to face.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Sabina Park in March '04 was before your time presumably? - still can't believe that actually happened actually - I'll away to youtube to check
Wasn't before my time, but I never saw that spell. There are exceptions I guess.

Its just you nearly always find that pacers rip through sides in pairs, which is different to a single spinner going it alone.

Also protective equipment has taken the danger element of fast bowling out of the game for me.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yep, Waqar seemed to defy physics with the lateness of his swing. As often as not it was a hapless Englishman whose furniture was rearranged, but it was very hard not to admire the man's bravura talents. Utterly thrilling to behold.

As much as I like to see a great spinner in action, for sheer visceral excitement I'd take a quick as a personal preference. For largely the same reasons as I enjoy boxing more than tennis. One admires the artistry of the latter, but the possibility of blood on the canvass appeals at a more primal level; facing up to a quick genuinely tests a batsman's mettle. With the protective equipment they wear nowadays batsmen aren't likely to get seriously hurt (thankfully) but (as Kallis bouncing the rabbitish Fernando in the first test showed, after he'd first been discomforted by a bumper from the latter) a quick can still make a batsman hop about & it isn't much fun to face.
gun post

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I love it when a part timer rips through a side. Especially the WTF look on the batsmen's face.