Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sangakkara and Dale Steyn retain 2011 ICC top spots

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Because he did most of his scoring against **** attacks or in very high scoring games.
    +1
    While one cannot totally rate a player based on the ratings, I does offer some insight into a players career and stats.
    Wasim Akram for example is universally lauded, he never cracked the 900 ratings barrier because of his disproportionately high number of lower order wickets taken. It doesn't make him a bad bowler, just makes us take a second look or ask more questions.

Additioally its not so much your peak total thats more important, but the percentage of tour career spent over 900. That is the most telling as it speaks to consistent brilliance and not just one good year or season.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    +1
    While one cannot totally rate a player based on the ratings, I does offer some insight into a players career and stats.
    Wasim Akram for example is universally lauded, he never cracked the 900 ratings barrier because of his disproportionately high number of lower order wickets taken. It doesn't make him a bad bowler, just makes us take a second look or ask more questions.

Additioally its not so much your peak total thats more important, but the percentage of tour career spent over 900. That is the most telling as it speaks to consistent brilliance and not just one good year or season.
    +1

That's what makes Murali a bloody brilliant bowler. I am quite sure that he spent highest % of his career cracking over 800 compared to contemporary bowlers. May be McGrath has edge over him, but any other spinner I am not sure.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    How is it that MoYo has a record for the most runs in a calender year but does not have the greatest Test Batting rank.
    Because, shock horror, the rankings take more into account than your 12-month aggregate.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Because, shock horror, the rankings take more into account than your 12-month aggregate.
    My exact thoughts. They're the last 3 or 4 years aren't they?
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 31-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I remember it was Kyle Mills for a while a couple of years ago. Wasn't Hafeez top recently?

Steins been top of the test rankings for about 3 years though hasn't he?
    Mills was world class between 2007-2010/2011 tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    My exact thoughts. They're the last 3 or 4 years aren't they?
    Haha they're a lot more complicated than even that. It doesn't just rank players based on how many runs they've scored or wickets they've taken in Period X; it factors in the number of matches the individual has played, the number of matches the team has played, the standard of the opposition, the other scores in the match and lots of other things.

I haven't really looked into too closely but personally I'm not that big of it and reckon I've come up with a better system. But really, anyone who creates their own system and weights each aspect exactly how he or she thinks it should be weighted is going to think it's the best, so it's not a great wrap.

Do you actually feed ODI stuff into CPL for kicks?

It would be interesting to see what it has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Do you actually feed ODI stuff into CPL for kicks?

It would be interesting to see what it has to say.
    The lack of games the minnows play and the fact that they play against themselves mostly would throw up some really, really weird results I think; but then again the ICC ODI rankings do that with some of the minnow players too. I'd probably just decide that only games between the top 11 teams or something were actually ODIs, but even then Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing each other so much would mean they both became over-rated as oppositions.

It'd be reasonably quick to do an international one I think because I get that stuff automatically; I'd just need to change my code. Domestic stuff is done largely manually though so it'd take me ages to incorporate that (again though; not that the ICC ratings do that either ).

Just make Mills number one and be done with it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    +1

That's what makes Murali a bloody brilliant bowler. I am quite sure that he spent highest % of his career cracking over 800 compared to contemporary bowlers. May be McGrath has edge over him, but any other spinner I am not sure.
    Has to be in top 3 in terms of that/....
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

RIP Phil Hughes. Forever 63*

Ajmal is such a gun

Brumby will surely love this news

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Sanga missed out of the Test side is a mistake. Other than that, nothing to argue with. Hafeez getting in is a touch weird but you could say no-one's done his job better, so fair cop.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Six Englishmen in the test XI, none in the ODI team. Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Ajmal is such a gun

Brumby will surely love this news
    Nah, fair play to the old Spanish archer. Dirty, stinking chucker tho, obvz.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information