• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket: The Best

archie mac

International Coach
I think the last eight Tests involving Australia have been some of the best I have had the pleasure of watching. The reason for this must be the pitches which are actually favouring – slightly – the bowlers.

This means the ‘flat track bullies’ and those with poor techniques are being exposed it also means very few draws.

In an interview on radio James Sutherland said they are encouraging curators in Australia to produce ‘sporting’ wickets which give bowlers a more even chance. While I applaud this I was also wondering why they had the ‘Big Bash’ on the same day as the Boxing day Test, however this may be a rant for another time!:@

If all the countries around the world produce wickets like those produced for the matches involving Australia of recent times, in SL, SA and the last three Tests in OZ than surely people will come back to Test cricket?

The only thing I think they could improve would be the over rates, I am personally loving everything else about Test cricket at the moment :cool:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't think you'll find anyone disputing that here, Archie.

I'm even considering snapping my body clock onto NZ time for a week to watch the SCG and Newlands Tests non-stop in the week running up to the start of term.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to agree with the sentiment of Archie, and of course Tomas in the other thread.

There's been some great test cricket of late.

archie mac

International Coach
Don't think you'll find anyone disputing that here, Archie.

I'm even considering snapping my body clock onto NZ time for a week to watch the SCG and Newlands Tests non-stop in the week running up to the start of term.
Why NZ time?

Have to agree with the sentiment of Archie, and of course Tomas in the other thread.

There's been some great test cricket of late.
It is so good, I am tempted to take a couple of days of work at go to the SCG:D

Athlai

Not Terrible
Since the start of November we've seen some extremely close finishes in Test cricket:

NZ beat Zim by 34 runs in the last session of a Test
Australia beat SA by 2 wickets
India and West Indies drawing on scores level with 2 wickets in hand
NZ beat Aus by 7 runs

Beyond that every match Australia has played this year has been pretty awesome to watch and
Sri Lanka beat South Africa for the first time ever in South Africa.

If next year delivers similar contests I'll be a very happy young man.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I have to agree wholeheartedly. Pitches where the batsmen is never really 'in' but still scores a bundle of runs by applying his technique are great for the sport. Sure, you won't see snore draws but on the other hand there's the heightened possibility of <150 scores in quick time.

Would definitely rather a result.

howardj

International Coach
Yep, agree with the highly respected Archie Mac.

And, the thing is, the pitches we've played on this year haven't been raging seamers, and don't need to be.

Just a bit of grass, and some decent bounce.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Yep, agree with the highly respected Archie Mac.

And, the thing is, the pitches we've played on this year haven't been raging seamers, and don't need to be.

Just a bit of grass, and some decent bounce.
100% right mate, we just want competitive wickets :)

And when did I become highly respected? I bet it's an age thing:D

flibbertyjibber

One thing crossed my mind about these pitches yesterday, if England were capable of bowling Australia and India out so often so cheaply on decent tracks for batting (look at the scores England got in the same games) then god knows how small the totals sides would be getting on pitches with some life in them.

I have really enjoyed watching the bowlers on top of late and seeing some batsmen exposed with poor techniques. Long may it continue and those batsmen better get back in the nets and work at their game to combat their flaws.

archie mac

International Coach
One thing crossed my mind about these pitches yesterday, if England were capable of bowling Australia and India out so often so cheaply on decent tracks for batting (look at the scores England got in the same games) then god knows how small the totals sides would be getting on pitches with some life in them.

I have really enjoyed watching the bowlers on top of late and seeing some batsmen exposed with poor techniques. Long may it continue and those batsmen better get back in the nets and work at their game to combat their flaws.
Yes I agree, although it was good to see some of the SL batsman re group after the first Test and really show their quality:)

Zinzan

The only thing I think they could improve would be the over rates :cool:
This irks me no end. The sooner teams concede runs as extras for slow over-rates the better as far as I'm concerned. Some traditionalists may protest the idea, but it would work.

flibbertyjibber

This irks me no end. The sooner teams concede runs as extras for slow over-rates the better as far as I'm concerned. Some traditionalists may protest the idea, but it would work.
Agreed, no reason they can't fit in 90 in a day. You soon see them fitting them in on day 5 when they are looking to bowl a side out to win so why not on days 1-4?

10 runs for every over light I say, soon stop it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Keep the fielding side out there until 90 overs have been bowled and start hitting the captains in the pocket for every minute we go over the scheduled close of play.

Zinzan

Agreed, no reason they can't fit in 90 in a day. You soon see them fitting them in on day 5 when they are looking to bowl a side out to win so why not on days 1-4?

10 runs for every over light I say, soon stop it.
Haha, 10 runs would be overly harsh. I was thinking just 3 or 4 :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Haha, 10 runs would be overly harsh. I was thinking just 3 or 4 :p
There was a rule in the Ranji Trophy a few years ago where that happened, I think - explains a lot of the total on the all-time list to some extent. Four runs per over.