• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hadlee 9-52 vs. Bracewell 6-40

Which bowling performance would you rate higher?

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
Which bowling performance would you rate higher in the grand scheme of things:

Hadlee:
9 wickets in an innings is an unbelievable achievement
Away from home
Combined average of other bowlers in the match was over 50
1st Innings of the match
Against a fairly mediocre Australian batting lineup
In a comfortable victory
First test of the series

Bracewell:

Not as many wickets taken as Hadlee
Away from home
Green pitch so difficult batting conditions
4th innings of the match and defending a small/middling target
Against an average Australian batting lineup but arguably better than 1985/86
In a very close victory
To come from behind and draw the series
IT'S ****ING DOUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
In ten years, I reckon Dougeh's effort will be seen as equal with Hadlee's, tbh, when you take into account the factors I listed.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bull****. The wicket in Hobart was perfectly set to reward good seam bowling. Bracewell did some good work but to suggest it's anywhere near as classy as Hadlee's 9 wicket haul is trollingly disingenuous. Utter tripe.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Exactly, remember NZ got 553/7 declared with the bat after Hadlee took his 9-fer

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Lets spam CW with as many Doug threads as we can IMHO. Far better than the Glen McGrath vs Player X pox that was upon us two months ago.

Flem274*

123/5
Factors in favour of Dougeh
-He's from Central Districts
-He's Dougeh
-all that other stuff

Factors not in favour of Dougeh
-Objectively Hadlee's was better

Factors in favour of Paddles
-Greatest NZ bowling performance ever

Factors not in favour of Paddles
-He's from Canterbury

Guess who I voted for?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Hadlee = sacred cow, much?

:laugh: at the comments of the some of the NZ posters.

I'm not saying that Bracewell's was the better performance, but because it was to actually win the match in the 4th innings, it has to be up there with the most important spells that a New Zealander has bowled. Certainly not a country-mile between the two bowling spells.

Put it another way: if it was Bracewell 9-52, and Hadlee 6-40, it would be a lot closer.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
it has to be up there with the most important spells that a New Zealander has bowled.
While this is true, Hadlee's performance is up there with one of the best spells any cricketer has ever bowled.

Certainly not a country-mile between the two bowling spells.
Disagree strongly.

Ftr, I think Hadlee's 6-26 in this game is possibly the most underrated performance of all time. Bowling out a team for 81 when they're chasing 137 with so much pressure is just mental. In a different league to Bracewell's 6-40 too.

I'd say Hadlee would have had at least five performances better than Bracewell's 6-40. At least

Last edited: