• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Scorecard says it's even, but my team can't win" thread: Gambhiring

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's ever so annoying, but not sure about the verb. "Gambhiring" to me is the act of missing a test or innings (particularly when one's team's facing an uphill battle) due to a minor and/or imaginary ailment. A "Gambhir" is one who practices this.

Of course, as the lexicographers amongst you know, the original coinage of "Gambhir" was a small clinging lump of cainine excrement that is neglible in size but announces itself to all and sundry by its overpowering stench.

"I was completely unaware I had a gambhir on the sole of my boot until its stench rendered the vicar's parlour uninhabitable." Augustus Snodgrass in The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, 1837.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
When you've followed NZ cricket for a while, you'll have watched strong and even positions pissed away so frequently that Gambhiring becomes the normal and logical approach.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha they've got nothing on India overseas in the 90s. Anyone who hasn't been though that cant understand how deep in your soul the pessimism takes hold.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha they've got nothing on India overseas in the 90s. Anyone who hasn't been though that cant understand how deep in your soul the pessimism takes hold.
Australia in the 80s was the same. From about 84-88 in tests especially. Fmd. Dire (Dyer).

Redbacks

International Captain
South Australia, we fill the team with interstate players and still finish near the bottom every season getting belted. Plus we manage a FC score of 20-30 once every couple of years.

Burgey

The thing with that team in the 80s, they had some hideous results, but they picked some blokes who became bloody good players out of it. I think the selectors then were Sawle, John Benaud and Chappell. They had this policy of basically picking blokes they reckoned would blossom even if not ready then. Boon, Waugh, Healy, Hughes to name a few.

Given Chappell's record in more recent times, I think it was a fluke :(

Burgey

0 overseas test wins in a decade? That takes some doing.
Losing a series at home to NZ and drawing with an Indian team which had Kapil and no other bowler in the same season was bad, then losing the next home Ashes to an attack led by Defreitas, Emburey and Edmonds was low tbf.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Being an England fan prior to the 21st century, and for a few pockets here and there in the 21st is worse, IMO