Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Match or One Day Cricket

Test Match or One Day Cricket

I love Cricket & both forms of the game are great.

But if I was forced to pick out of the two, I would pick One Day Cricket. One Day Internationals (ODI's) are very exciting, whether it be very agressive batting from the likes of Adam Gilchrist, the likes of great fielding from players such as Andrew Symonds or Ricky Ponting, or the likes of watching Michael Bevan play a match winning innings.

Though the Australian Test Team deserve credit as they play Tests which more follow ODI's than in years gone by. Adam Gilchrist boasts a ODI batting strike rate of 92.26! In Tests, Gilchrist boasts a strike rate of 83.59 which is amazing as this is more than alot of ODI cricketers batting strike rates!

So what are all your opinions. Test or ODI cricket (if you were forced to choose)?

I would most certainly choose test cricket if I had to choose one
    form of the game. One day cricket can be exciting if both teams are good, otherwise it can get very predictable. For example the current England Bangledesh series, the match is basically decided in the first 15 overs.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Simple for me - the World Cup's in one-dayers, but Tests are the oldest form.
    Each has their merits and I'd be very, very sad if deprived of either.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Originally posted by IsuraE
    form of the game. One day cricket can be exciting if both teams are good, otherwise it can get very predictable. For example the current England Bangledesh series, the match is basically decided in the first 15 overs.
    And The Second Test was different because...?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    ODIs are good for a quick fix, but nothing can ever match the depth of thought and tactics and the way that things can change in Test Cricket.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    No question - Test cricket.

For reasons, see WI v Australia 4th Test 2003; WI v Aus 3rd Test 1999; WI v Pak 3rd Test 2000; WI v Zim 1st Test 2000.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk

For reasons, see WI v Australia 4th Test 2003; WI v Aus 3rd Test 1999; WI v Pak 3rd Test 2000; WI v Zim 1st Test 2000.
    * notes Liam forgot to mention Zim v WI 1st Test 2003 *
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk

Huhm-huhm! How about Eng v WI Second Test 2000?
    Better than all that lot. Probably better than it all put together. Not just a thrilling last innings but an inconceivable last two and two other exceptional ones.
    Best Test of all-time surely.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Originally posted by IsuraE
    Welcome to the forums, IsuraE. Good to see another one from a minnow country (although you'd thrash us easily :P)

As for the question at hand, well, I prefer Tests. It's what everybody in Norway first laugh at when they hear about the game (How can anyone watch a game that takes 5 days?), but it is much more exciting, it can change in a matter that no ODI can, and it lasts longer.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Pinball Champion!
    Watch Allan Donald against Mike Atherton in 1998 (or any other great confrontations for that matter such as Shoaib-Hayden) and you will soon realize that test cricket provides a dimension that simply doesnt exist in the one day game...

I love One day cricket too, I prefer coloured kits and a white ball, but I like more the grit and attrition you get in test matches..

SO tests all the way for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    ODI's for me, they are more attacking, particularly highlighting fielding skills
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by age_master
    ODI's for me, they are more attacking, particularly highlighting fielding skills
    But are they though? I know they are from a batting point of view, but one day cricket has bread a lot of mundane, defensive captaincy and bowling...

The sight of Shoaib steaming in, first morning of a test match trying to knock a guys poles over, with 5 slips and 2 gullies, thats attacking too

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    But are they though? I know they are from a batting point of view, but one day cricket has bread a lot of mundane, defensive captaincy and bowling...

The sight of Shoaib steaming in, first morning of a test match trying to knock a guys poles over, with 5 slips and 2 gullies, thats attacking too
    I agree with you 100%. I much more enjoy a brilliant spell of bowling than a brilliant spell of batting and test cricket shows far better and more attacking bowling.

When I first started watching cricket, I enjoyed ODIs 100x more, but gradually as I apreciated the game more and more, and understood the tactics and the changes in test cricked, I liked test cricket more and more than ODIs. And now its ahead by a mile.

Test cricket defiantely for my answer.
    ~ Cribbage

Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Welcome to the forums, IsuraE. Good to see another one from a minnow country (although you'd thrash us easily :P)

As for the question at hand, well, I prefer Tests. It's what everybody in Norway first laugh at when they hear about the game (How can anyone watch a game that takes 5 days?), but it is much more exciting, it can change in a matter that no ODI can, and it lasts longer.
    Do you get much coverage/if any of cricket in Norway? If not, then how were you attracted to this great game?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Originally posted by Samuel_Vimes

I never saw a ball of that series, but there have been plenty of other great Tests before and since that should be ranked up there.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information