• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Marchant de Lange the new Peter Pollock?

SeamUp

International Coach
Haha...some good similarities there...Durban test debut and five-for and all that.

See the fast bowler as first change for South Africa...Godfrey Lawrence aka GOOFY Lawrence. Gangly huge bugger and was just plain goofy.

Goofy Lawrence | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

From Rhodesia (old Zimbabwe) and he used size 13 boots and when he played a domestic game against Border in East London...his boots got lost in the flight and there were no boots that size in East London in those days. Interesting story hehe ...just remember my old man telling me that story years ago but I can't remember the rest.

SeamUp

International Coach
Why so many debuts in that match?

Were the teams playing after some sort of longish break?

From South Africa's perspective...it was an end of an era to our first proper test bowling attack of the 50's in Neil Adcock, Peter Heine and Hugh Tayfield and 4 of those debutants were bowlers. Not counting the trio of leg-break googly bolwers at the beginning of the century and an ok attack we took to England in 1935.

Barlow and Bland were the standout batting debutants.

Last edited: