• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowling time capsule

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Idea of this is that we take a group of young international fast bowlers, compare and contrast, then bump the thread yearly to check progress and see how opinions have changed over time.

For this I'd suggest Yadav/Finn/Cummins/Pattinson/J Khan/D Bracewell/Marchant De Lange.

Concept for me is that fast bowlers tend to fluctuate wildly during their early years in terms of form and people's opinions follow suit (not accusing anyone of bandwagoning just putting it out there). For example, in a years time Cummins could be consigned to the scrapheap temporarily while Finn has become the no 2 test bowler. Unlikely but possible imo which makes it interesting

Predictions welcome too

TumTum

Banned
Good thread.

I have high regard for Cummins. The rest don't seem special but I haven't seen much of De Lange.

Also I like Boult.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Most definitely currently. Haven't put a great deal of thought into it, potential-wise, but he'd have to be right up there for me. Unfortunately for him though, I'm not sure if he'll get an extended run in the side until he's in his late-20s, even though he's probably ready now.

One of the Australians would be up there potential-wise, also. Fast bowlers incredibly hard to predict though, as you say.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Would also support the inclusion of Boult. Really impressed me in the Aus series.

Currently, I would have to agree with EDs. Finn is definitely the best.

Potential wise, I would have to go with Pattinson as being the most promising (but I haven't seen De Lange).

SeamUp

International Coach
From twitter during the match and now this article, they reckon he looks like Cummins. I guess only in appearance and not bowling style...
They both fall away a little bit as they deliver and both bowl at the same pace.

I wouldn't consider him similar to Bracewell in that Bracewell looked very much a swing bolwer to me.

De Lange proved today that he can bowl on flat surfaces without the aid of much swing and seam and be lethal. Probably one of the most ideal batting days I have seen in South Africa for test cricket in a while and De Lange outshone Steyn and Morne.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
This will sound like me sitting on the fence. But its to tough to comment yet for me. Would like to see a bit more of all the bolwers.

Only bolwer I haven't seen is Khan but heard good things.

Will definitely be interesting to see how this comes along though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, I'm picturing one of those docos where we see how they are doing every seven years from birth.

It will be interesting to see. I think Boult probably does need to be added - Perhaps Kemar Roach. Tim Southee (if they are not too old) and maybe Josh Hazlewood from Australia.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why no mention of Philander in this thread so far? He is likely to be the best of the lot IMO.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Add Praveen IMO.

Is 24, debuted this year and had a pretty awesome first year.

Long career ahead.

Flem274*

123/5
Finn, Pattinson and Bracewell have a big advantage in a lack of injuries.

I'll be surprised if a few listed don't fall away into obscurity due to good old injuries.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Shocked that you think that.. ;)

Reckon Pattinson's shown the most promise so far. Would put money on him becoming the best if pushed.