• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2012 u19 CWC

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't remember seeing a thread for this but the groups have been confirmed and so has the venue and time which the tournament will be played.

Group A
Australia, England, Nepal, Ireland
Group B
Pakistan, New Zealand, Scotland, Afghanistan
Group C
West Indies, India, Zimbabwe, Papua New Guinea
Group D
Sri Lanka, South Africa, Bangladesh, Namibia

Queensland will host the ICC's 2012 Under-19 World Cup in August next year, with Brisbane, Townsville and the Sunshine Coast to be the primary venues for the event.

Australia hosted the inaugural edition of the Cup in 1988. The Australian team won the last tournament, in New Zealand in 2010, and can be expected to put up a stern defence on home soil.

James Sutherland, the Cricket Australia chief executive, said the tournament had proven itself as a useful stage for upcoming generations of cricket talent. He also pointed out that the event would aid Australia in its preparations for the senior edition of the World Cup, to be held down under in 2015.

"The ICC U19 Cricket World Cup is the showcase event for best young cricketers in the world and is where the next Cameron White or Yuvraj Singh gets their first real taste of top-level international cricket," Sutherland said. "It was only a couple of years ago we saw Mitch Marsh captain the Australia Under-19 team to victory in New Zealand with talents such as Josh Hazlewood, Alister McDermott and Alex Keath alongside him.

"We are very grateful to Queensland Cricket and Events Queensland for their support in hosting this tournament and I think all the teams and supporters will enjoy their time in Australia's sunshine state. We are building towards hosting the senior ICC Cricket World Cup in 2015 and this tournament will play a big part in getting ready for that event," he said.

Graham Dixon, the Queensland Cricket chief executive, said the choice of the Sunshine Coast and Townsville as venues beyond Brisbane would be helpful for the development of cricket, and sporting infrastructure, in two major regional centres.

"Queensland Cricket is thrilled at the decision to bring the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup to our state, and especially with the decision to play in two important regional centres, Townsville and the Sunshine Coast, with the resulting positive economic impact on those areas," he said.

"The support of the State Government and the Events Queensland will enable Queensland to provide an international showcase around this tournament, which has grown into a significant event on the world cricket stage.

"Queensland Cricket is acutely aware that the ICC Cricket World Cup will be staged in Australia and New Zealand in 2015 and so tournaments like the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup are an important proving ground for us, and for Cricket Australia, as it gets closer to hosting that major event."

The ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat added: "This tournament has proved to be an important stepping stone for elite young cricketers aspiring to play international cricket. It's an opportunity for them to develop and test their skills in a high-pressure situation against the world's best at this level.

"We also use it as an opportunity to educate them on several important issues like anti-corruption, anti-doping and social responsibility expected of international cricketers while also exposing them to the ICC Code of Conduct and media attention."

SeamUp

International Coach
England preparing for u19 WC with a trip to Banga? Not ideal. Why was Reece Topley dropped? Thought here were big raps on the lad? Maybe having a look at others ahead of WC possibly.

Kent allrounder Adam Ball will lead an England Under-19 squad for the tour of Bangladesh in January. The tour features seven one-dayers, in Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet.

The 15-member squad features eight players who featured in this year's one-day series against South Africa. The team lost the seven-match one-day series 4-2 to the South Africans.

The first match will be played in Chittagong on January 20.

Kent allrounder Adam Ball will lead an England Under-19 squad for the tour of Bangladesh in January. The tour features seven one-dayers, in Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet.

The 15-member squad features eight players who featured in this year's one-day series against South Africa. The team lost the seven-match one-day series 4-2 to the South Africans.

The first match will be played in Chittagong on January 20.

Adam Ball (captain, Kent)
Muhammad Abid (Lancashire)
Shozair Ali (Warwickshire)
Daniel Bell-Drummond (Kent)
Ben Foakes (Essex)
Gavin Griffiths (Lancashire)
Brett Hutton (Nottinghamshire)
Aneesh Kapil (Worcestershire)
Sam Kelsall (Nottinghamshire)
Jack Leaning (Yorkshire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Jamie Overton (Somerset)
Rammy Singh (Durham)
Kishen Velani (Essex)
Sam Wood (Nottinghamshire)

Warm-up on 17th Jan

Games are on 20th, 21st, 24th, 28th, 30th January & 3rd and 5th of Feb.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Does anyone know Pak's squad?
The WC is only in August,

But I do know that Pak u19 are coming to South Africa over Jan and Feb in preparation so the squad for that will be announced shortly and you will find that most of those players selected will go to the WC probably.

brockley

International Captain
Group D is the group of death.
I am hoping Cricket Australia releases Cummins for the tournament,and hopefully Paris fit.
How good is England?

SeamUp

International Coach
Group D is the group of death.
I am hoping Cricket Australia releases Cummins for the tournament,and hopefully Paris fit.
How good is England?
We beat England u19 in England 4-2 earlier this year and in the rained out game, we were on well on our way to victory so it could have been 5-2.

England have made 7 changes from that squad though and that may improve them.

Stand out player for them is opening batsman, Bell-Drummond.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Dont know that much about our batsmen, but i think our strenth will be in bowling. Calvin Savage, Jan Frylinck and Corne dry aint so bad. Infact im betting Savage to be one of the players ot the tournament. Allrounder fot the future.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dont know that much about our batsmen, but i think our strenth will be in bowling. Calvin Savage, Jan Frylinck and Corne dry aint so bad. Infact im betting Savage to be one of the players ot the tournament. Allrounder fot the future.
Yeah, it will be one of our stronger teams going to an u19 WC. Potentially up there with the 2000, 2002 & 2008 bunch. Pity the 2003 bunch fell in between WC's.

We will bat deep with all-rounders like Savage, Subrayen & Frylinck. Probably play 4 seamers. Craig Kirsten may join Dry, Frylinck and Savage. Dry & Savage are nearly 2m tall and Kirsten is.

In the batting, Quinton De Kock will be a gun in the tournament. Pillay and Rosier would have matured nicely. Ray Jennings normally likes a ball striker in the middle-order to hit the spinners and James Price is too old now so interesting who gets that job.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Craig kirsten seems to have come up from nowhere, any info about him@SeamUp? Jeez id forgoten about De kock. Massive talent.

Xuhaib

International Coach
apparently there is a 12 yr old fast bowler Ehsan Adil whose running trough batting line ups in the domestic u-19 he's sure to to be included though i struggle to believe there can be a 12 yr old fast bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
Craig kirsten seems to have come up from nowhere, any info about him@SeamUp? Jeez id forgoten about De kock. Massive talent.
Him and Frylinck are still young and going to school next year and wasn't in the last u19 squad. Probably why you haven't heard of him mate.

Goes to Kearsney College in Durban. Got bowler of the week in the recently concluded SA schools week.

Also has been selected for SA junior hockey teams.

The Dolphins a few years back made big strides to work within their youth/school structures and it seems it will be paying off for them in the next few years. Lance Klusener has been working with Savage, Kirsten and another 17 year old fast bowler Daryn Dupavillon (2nd highest wicket-taker in SA schools but unluckily missed out on schools or colts selection...strike-bowler with good gas and skiddy.) Also the spinner Subrayen looks very handy as well and was the SA schools captain so in with a big shout to be the SA u19 skipper.

CRAIG KIRSTEN

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
apparently there is a 12 yr old fast bowler Ehsan Adil whose running trough batting line ups in the domestic u-19 he's sure to to be included though i struggle to believe there can be a 12 yr old fast bowler.
Will be amazed if he is indeed 12 and gets picked. Didn't you guys have a 14 or 15 year-old at the last WC?

Quite chuffed you guys are touring us. Will be a good test for our guys as you cannot beat Pakistans natural talent at youth level.

Xuhaib

International Coach
4-5 players from our last WC team are like to be retained Usman Qadir, Babar Azam and Fayyaz Butt to name a few so the squad this time should be pretty strong, would have like to see them play a few youth tests with Sa but I guess even od's will do.

SeamUp

International Coach
4-5 players from our last WC team are like to be retained Usman Qadir, Babar Azam and Fayyaz Butt to name a few so the squad this time should be pretty strong, would have like to see them play a few youth tests with Sa but I guess even od's will do.
Cheers for that mate. I remember Babar and Qadir from the last WC.

Would have also liked tests. SA hasn't played u19 tests for quite some time now and its poor really.

The tour is first of all a triangular one-day with us two and Zimbabwe. Then we play a 3 one-day game series supposedly so I don't know why they couldn't have played tests instead of the 3 one-day game series.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Googled 'Ehsan Adil' and came up with this

According to that his D.O.B. is 30-11-1999 which makes him approx 12 years 1 month old. He has 37 wickets @ 17 in the domestic U-19 long-version tournament.

****s me how someone aged 11(when the tournament was going on) can do that.

Looks older than 12 too, IMO.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Googled 'Ehsan Adil' and came up with this

According to that his D.O.B. is 30-11-1999 which makes him approx 12 years 1 month old. He has 37 wickets @ 17 in the domestic U-19 long-version tournament.

****s me how someone aged 11(when the tournament was going on) can do that.

Looks older than 12 too, IMO.
yeah looks atleast 16-17.