• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kerry Packer-The man who changed cricket for better or for bad.Your opinion on it.

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
While I was going through various threads,Inoticed that not one thread is dedicated to Kerry Packer.So here it is.

Kerry Packer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Few things about the man himself.
World Series Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia His initiative which changed the face of cricket.
Ashley Mallett remembers Kerry Packer | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo A Cricinfo article about him.
The man did change cricket through his World Series Cricket.What are it's long term effects ,you think,which can be seen on the cricket as played today.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Definitely helped England win a couple of Ashes series, which I'm sure we all agree is a change for the better.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Almost all of Packer's innovations eventually became a part of the game.

He is hardly given any credit for his contributions though

JBMAC

State Captain
He divided the game and a lot of potentially great players were lost into the wilderness. Besides cricket is played in whites NOT bloody pyjamas.(albeit bright ly coloured ones)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ODIs had been around since 1970 and the first World Cup was two years before he raised his particularly ugly head. I can't see a causal link between WSC and T20, so on balance I'll go with the fact that in the long run what he did was for the good of the game, but I'm not totally convinced

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
A true visionary and an astute businessman, IMHO. Anyone who hasn't so far should read Lillee's auotbiography and what he says about Packer.

Had it not been Packer, I'm sure someone else would have been there. A group of professionals being paid far less than the earnings they bring in would inevitably have caused a revolution at some stage. TV viewership and increasing interest in LOIs was the game's future - as, I believe, a lot of far-sighted people by then (after WC 1975, to be precise) had begun to realise. It was a cash crop well harvested and kudos to Mr. Packer, I'd say!

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
He showed ICC how to make money from the game. Television rights, good marketing, proper compensation for cricketers, coloured clothing, drop-in pitches, day night cricket, the white ball all were the brainchild of Packer. The modern day game owes much to him.