Thread: Kerry Packer-The man who changed cricket for better or for bad.Your opinion on it.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Kerry Packer-The man who changed cricket for better or for bad.Your opinion on it.

While I was going through various threads,Inoticed that not one thread is dedicated to Kerry Packer.So here it is.

Kerry Packer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Few things about the man himself.
    World Series Cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia His initiative which changed the face of cricket.
    Ashley Mallett remembers Kerry Packer | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo A Cricinfo article about him.
    The man did change cricket through his World Series Cricket.What are it's long term effects ,you think,which can be seen on the cricket as played today.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Never heard of him.

Who did he play for?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Definitely helped England win a couple of Ashes series, which I'm sure we all agree is a change for the better.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Almost all of Packer's innovations eventually became a part of the game.

He is hardly given any credit for his contributions though

Mahjong Champion!
    He divided the game and a lot of potentially great players were lost into the wilderness. Besides cricket is played in whites NOT bloody pyjamas.(albeit bright ly coloured ones)
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Changed cricket for the better imo. Love ODI's, which came about thanks to Packer.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    ODIs had been around since 1970 and the first World Cup was two years before he raised his particularly ugly head. I can't see a causal link between WSC and T20, so on balance I'll go with the fact that in the long run what he did was for the good of the game, but I'm not totally convinced

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    A true visionary and an astute businessman, IMHO. Anyone who hasn't so far should read Lillee's auotbiography and what he says about Packer.

Had it not been Packer, I'm sure someone else would have been there. A group of professionals being paid far less than the earnings they bring in would inevitably have caused a revolution at some stage. TV viewership and increasing interest in LOIs was the game's future - as, I believe, a lot of far-sighted people by then (after WC 1975, to be precise) had begun to realise. It was a cash crop well harvested and kudos to Mr. Packer, I'd say!
    Last edited by Outswinger@Pace; 25-12-2011 at 08:16 AM.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    He showed ICC how to make money from the game. Television rights, good marketing, proper compensation for cricketers, coloured clothing, drop-in pitches, day night cricket, the white ball all were the brainchild of Packer. The modern day game owes much to him.

Thread Information