• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sheep Draft Version 3.0

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Xmas afternoon and my mrs. is sleeping so I'm kind of bored, but keen to run another Sheep Draft..

For those not familiar with the first or second Sheep Drafts, I'll ask 3 questions at a time for example:

Q1- Select a Cricket with a highest Test score over 260?
Q2 - Select a Cricketer who's first or last name starts with M?
Q3 - Select a Cricketer with a highest Test score below 80?

You email your answers to me, if someone else selects the same player as you, neither of you get that player. You then have a second and third chance, but after 3 unsuccessful attempts another selector gets to chose a player for you, so you are most likely left with the worst player possible.

If for example person X selects Chris Martin for Q2, while person Y selects Chris Martin for Q3, Q2 will get them.

There will be 4 rounds in total (3 questions per round), giving you a chance to balance your final XI a bit more as you'll have no idea what questions are coming.

I'll start this thing once we get at least 8 people, you'll need to go onto CW once a day really to help get yourself a decent team as you have 24 hours to submit your answers..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cancel the trip mate. Sheep Draft > Times Square, lol

Depending on numbers, I was keen to ask the first 3 questions tomorrow during the Cricket, I think we'll all get have our teams completed within two weeks.

I'll be a little more relaxed over NYE too. How long is your trip HB?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cool I reckon you'll be fine, unless you keep picking players that others have picked and you go to the third and final chance for the first set of questions.

We'll probably just get through the first round and I would have asked the questions for the second round, but wont have said pass or fail until the new year. Enjoy your trip!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather go to New York than do a sheep draft but, to be fair, there's not much in it - thoroughly enjoyed the last two (in fact did we ever finished the second?) so as the only trip I actually have planned in the next week is across town to my sister in law's birthday party I'm in

Howe_zat

Audio File
You email your answers to me, if someone else selects the same player as you, neither of you get that player. You then have a second and third chance, but after 3 unsuccessful attempts another selector gets to chose a player for you, so you are most likely left with the worst player possible.
I'm a bit confused - does this mean you pick 3 choices for each question?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm a bit confused - does this mean you pick 3 choices for each question?
It is slightly confusing, but I think it works out well if we get members who are keen to take part and have some fun.

Say I ask the 3 questions..

Q1- Select a Cricket with a highest Test score over 260?
HB - Bradman
Fredfertang - Gooch
Howe - Bradman
Smali - Gayle

Q2 - Select a Cricketer who's first or last name starts with M?

HB - Mushtaq Mohammed
Fred - Murali
Howe - Malcolm Marshall
Smali - Murali

Q3 - Select a Cricketer with a highest Test score below 80?

HB - Warne
Fred - Pattinson
Howe - Murali
Smali - Chris Martin

So when I ask a question everyone has 24 hours to submit answers to the 3 questions. They email them to me (sheepdraft@hotmail.com) but I'll repeat the email address again later.

I then look at all the emails and say if you've passed of failed, if you fail you get a further 24 hours to submit a new answer and if you fail again you get another 24 hours. If you fail that, other people can select a player for you and they should select someone rubbish.

So in the above example.
Question 1 (a) Fred passes, Smali passes and Howe and HB would need to go again.
Question 2 (a) HB and Howe passes, Fred and Smali have to go again
Question 3 (a) Fred and Smali pass, Howe doesn't because Murali was chosen in Q2 and HB doesn't cause Warne actually has a score above 80.

Note if Fred decided to go with Chris Martin in Q2 (b) he would fail as Q3 (a) Martin was chosen.

I hope that makes sense. For questions 3, 6, 9 and 12 especially I'll make pretty general questions with lots of answers so people don't get annoyed with someone already picking their playing in a previous question.

I'll also keep a record of players disqualified - they become disqualified when more than player picks them.

StatsGuru is your friend in Sheep Draft :)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good stuff. I'll ask the first 3 questions tomorrow when the Aus vs. India Test is about to start.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to take part however I am still a little confused about a few issues. Also for each question, do we try to pick the best player we can think of who fits that answer? For example if the question is pick a player who has a score of 280, do I pick the best batsman in the list of players who have scored over 280?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would like to take part however I am still a little confused about a few issues. Also for each question, do we try to pick the best player we can think of who fits that answer? For example if the question is pick a player who has a score of 280, do I pick the best batsman in the list of players who have scored over 280?
Cool, we seem to have a decent number of people.

The object of the game is to get the best playing 11 from the 12 questions asked over 4 rounds of 3 questions each.

If for any question two people pick the same player, neither gets that player so then you have to attempt that question again. If you fail to successfully pick a player within the 3 chances the other players in the game pick a player for you and they will pick the worst player.

So do you play it safe and go for the absolute best player or do you pick a decent to good player to ensure you get him?

It will become clearer when I ask the questions tomorrow.