• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Doug Bracewell Discussion

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
How good is this chap? Obviously too soon to tell and he was helped by bowling on a green wicket in his last outing. But just from watching him does he have the tools to succeed. What will his long term average be if you dare to make a prediction. Is he better than Southee?

My two cents - he seems to have two deliveries an outswinger and an off cutter. Southee has both as well but doesn't use the off cutter as much.

I think Bracewell will end up with an average of 33 and finish up with 150 odd wickets. I don't think he is quick enough to be as good as Shane Bond. And he can't move the ball both ways as well as Hadlee did. But he finishes up being as good as Chris Martin I will be happy.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can he generate decent reverse swing with the old ball? Same question will apply to Philander as well. You won't always get bowler friendly conditions in Test cricket, especially when you're touring the subcontinent. You have to have a completely different skill set to tackle batsmen in the subcontinent. Are these two guys up for it?

Eds

International Debutant
I think he needs far more time before we can actually judge how he'll go throughout his whole career.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Made up my mind about Hopkins after a couple of tests.

But yes your answer can not be argued with - just interested in first impressions.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He'll be the next Richard Hadlee Gonna be the best all-rounder in the world in a few years and will be around a long time.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I was really impressed with his variety and control on that last afternoon. The inswinger (to a left hander) to get Starc and the inducker (to a right hander) to clean up Lyon were superb balls in the circumstances. He managed to vary his deliveries without losing control, unlike Southee who gave up a few "hit me" balls when he tried to bowl the perfect delivery in the same spell.

Bracewell does look fairly innocuous until the ball leaves his hand... and I didn't see his first innings effort at Brisbane where by all accounts he was fairly innocuous full stop until late on. Very hard to predict his future success, though if he stays fit, I think I can confidently say that he'll take more wickets and at a better average than Southee.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen much of him so I won't comment on his future prospects, but can anyone give any insight in to why his domestic stats are terrible?

HolyHandGrenade

Cricket Spectator
I'm thinking he'll average around the late 20's, and get about 200 wickets with the ball. When it comes to the batting, I think he'll get a few big scores and end up averaging around 30 with the bat.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Despite this start to his test career I think he will always be seen as a third/fourth seamer and the oppo will think he's less of a threat than the new ball bowlers. This is not a bad thing - he will just be underrated. Will take plenty of wickets barring injury and I'm going with a career average of right on 30.

He already seems to be more useful with the old ball than most of our other seamers of the last decade.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It is probably true that Bracewell's FC figures suffered a bit from being brought into the cd side at such a young age. Having said that, Milne and Wheeler haven't suffered the same difficulties.

90 tests, 330 wickets at 30.
:ph34r:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon he'll end up with similar averages to Dion Nash, around 22-23 with the bat & 28-29 with the ball, but hopefully won't be injured as often as Nash.

Flem274*

123/5
It is probably true that Bracewell's FC figures suffered a bit from being brought into the cd side at such a young age. Having said that, Milne and Wheeler haven't suffered the same difficulties.

90 tests, 330 wickets at 30.
:ph34r:
He was quite a different bowler then to what he is now according to people who saw him then. Might be a factor.