• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI for 2011?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Based on performances in 2011, what would your World XI be?

I'd go....

1. Cook
2. Taufeeq Umar (yeah that's how bad openers have been this season)
3. Dravid
4. Bell
5. Pietersen
6. Misbah-ul-Haq
7. Prior
8. Broad
9. Philander
10. Saeed Ajmal
11. Steyn

Spark

Global Moderator
There is no way Philander should get in. Three Tests and you're picking him above Anderson?!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook
Strauss
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Tremlett

morgieb

There is no way Philander should get in. Three Tests and you're picking him above Anderson?!
This is picked on performances this year, remember. I wouldn't pick Philander in a World XI on reputation or whatever in a million years, but there's several blokes not there that would be in my 'best 11' players or whatever.

Yeah I shouldn't have left out Anderson (or Bresnan or Harris for that matter), but Philander's taken his wickets very cheaply - his average is half of Anderson's.

MrPrez

International Debutant
He's also played 3 games in helpful conditions against weak batting line-ups.
You could also disregard all of England's batsmen's records as they played SL and India, two of the weakest bowling line ups in Test cricket.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Alastair Cook
Rahul Dravid
Kumar Sangakkara
Ian Bell
Misbah Ul Haq
Darren Bravo
Matt Prior
Tim Bresnan
Ravi Rampaul
Saeed Ajmal
James Anderson

Tim Bresnan averaged 19 with the ball this year. Just saying.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Cook
Strauss c
Dravid
Pietersen
Bell
Bravo
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

England have been so good you can't look beyond most of their players, Dravid has to be in and Trott has had his injury problem so that is a fair call and number 6 is the only weak spot in the England side so anyone could take that but Bravo has been superb against better opposition than the Pakistan players have faced. Philander 12th man.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't really see how you can pick Swann and Strauss.

Personally wouldn't have Bresnan either.

Xuhaib

International Coach
how has Bravo been better when he's got his runs against India-Zaheer and Bangladesh.

Ad massive lol at Strauss and Swann's selection.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
how has Bravo been better when he's got his runs against India-Zaheer
Yadav's recent form creates the standard of a good Test bowler. Ashwin and Ojha in Indian conditions are also very good Test bowlers. Ishant has been in poor form, but in the recent series, he was hardly fodder.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yadav's recent form creates the standard of a good Test bowler. Ashwin and Ojha in Indian conditions are also very good Test bowlers. Ishant has been in poor form, but in the recent series, he was hardly fodder.
They may be good infact I rate Yadav and Ashwin quite highly but they are still largely unproven.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Ul-haq hasn't exactly played the best teams has he? :huh: so who should be ahead of Darren Bravo? the boy has been sensational this year, back to back tons against India IN India is nothing to be laughed at, and before he started to hit tons he was getting at least a 50 every two innings, so he deserves some credit imo.