• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI for 2011?

Woodster

International Captain
Going for bowlers with 4-5 Tests and not going for Philander who got 4 5fers in 3 matches just doesn't seem right.
Yes he has been hugely impressive, I guess knowing that Steyn can be very effective in all conditions, and is the leader of the SA attack just gives him the edge. A very, very good case could be made for Philander, and I guess he's bowled on the same bowler-friendly pitches as Steyn has, but if this team was to play a Test, I know what I'd get with Steyn. I know that may not be the point of the Team of the Year, but I think Steyn's form is good enough to justify his place.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
My team for World XI would be

Cook
Sehwag (I dont care about his form, if he is fit, he is in my team period because for this guy, form does not matter)
Dravid
Amla
Kallis
Younis
Prior
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson
Gul

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Cook
Sehwag (I dont care about his form, if he is fit, he is in my team period because for this guy, form does not matter)
Dravid
Amla
Kallis
Younis
Prior
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson
Gul
Ridiculous criteria if you're picking a Team of the year. Of course result for the year concerned matter

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok that depends on what this team is for. I am thinking along the lines of, if I had to pick the best team as of 31st December 2011. Sehwag would be part of my current Best XI because of the reasons stated above.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
TBH I'd go with Smith as my other opener if that was the case record against quality swing bowling is good and I'm not gonna forget his Edgbaston innings in 08 in a hurry.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Thinking about it there's no way in hell the likes of Swann should be ahead of Bishoo!!.. who has picked up the emerging player award and i think is only second to Ajmal interms of wickets taken this year, i think that's impressive considering he's only faced sub-continant teams thus far who are meant to be the best players of spin.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook
Watson
Dravid
Kallis
Pietersen
Mathews
Prior
Shakib
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal

Four seamers (fifth half fit though) and two spinners will be enough to shoulder the bowling.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thinking about it there's no way in hell the likes of Swann should be ahead of Bishoo!!.. who has picked up the emerging player award and i think is only second to Ajmal interms of wickets taken this year, i think that's impressive considering he's only faced sub-continant teams thus far who are meant to be the best players of spin.
Bishoo is good, but if he gets his radar and head correct, Sunil Narine is the real deal. There is big spinning stock ball and plenty of mystery with him. Recommendation is to train with Murali for a season.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Cook
Watson
Dravid
Kallis
Pietersen
Mathews
Prior
Shakib
Steyn
Anderson
Ajmal

Four seamers (fifth half fit though) and two spinners will be enough to shoulder the bowling.
No Sanga in your team Sir?

And 4 seamers, I can only see two - Steyn and Anderson. You dont expect Kallis to be a third seamer do you? And even then I only see 3 seamers.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach

Cook
Dravid
Amla
Kallis
Younis
Prior
Steyn
Ajmal
Anderson
Gul
This is team of 2011 not a current World XI

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So we are just picking players based on previous performances and not looking to the future? In that case Sehwag would not be in my team because obviously his performances were poor this year. However the reason I would pick him for the future is because for him his form never matters, he might look dreadful in one match and score a double hundred the next day.

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Alastair Cook
Hashim Amla
Rahul Dravid
Darren Bravo
Ian Bell
*Misbah ul Haq
+Matt Prior
Saeed Ajmal
Praveen Kumar
Vernon Philander
Dale Steyn

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Given that 2011 has been the year of debutants, here is the XI made of players who debuted in 2011

David Warner
Tino Mawoyo
Kirk Edwards
Shaun Marsh
Virat Kohli
+Kaushal Silva (couldnt find a better wicket-keeper)
Ravichandran Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Vernon Philander
Nathan Lyon
Doug Bracewell

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Bishoo is good, but if he gets his radar and head correct, Sunil Narine is the real deal. There is big spinning stock ball and plenty of mystery with him. Recommendation is to train with Murali for a season.
Absolutely spot on, we love Bishy but that kid Narine could be an all time great for us if he continues to progress, the Indian's are excited about Ashwin but everytime Narine and Ashwin have been on the same pitch Sunil has totally outshone him :D , he has everything really, working with Murali would be a dream for the lad no doubt,

The next four day season for him is gonna be important, it's a competition the spinners usually dominate so he's gonna need at least 35-40 wickets, if he achieves that then i got a feeling a test debut against Australia will be on the agenda, everyone in the caribbean is excited about the lad just like we were about Darren Bravo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And let's be honest, if you're picking Broad it's really just for four Tests.
Broad's series vs India >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Philander's career so far.