• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI for 2011?

slowfinger

International Debutant
For tests:

Cook
Hafeez
Trott
Amla
Misbah(c)
AB De Villiers
Boucher(wk)
Broad
Ajmal
Fernando?
Anderson

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hafeez, Trott, Boucher and Fernando shouldn't be in the squad.
Hafeez- Underrated spinner, and a more than handy batsmen who, in THIS year has more than proved himself at a measly 40 average

Trott-Stalwart for the England team, don't see why not, or who is going to replace him.

Boucher- THIS year he has been phenominally good, and I mean not just wicket-keeping.

Fernando-Meh.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cook (c)
Hafeez/Amla
Dravid
Bravo
Sangakkara
Bell
Prior (wk)
Bresnan
Philander
Anderson
Ajmal

2nd opener spot proving tricky. Hafeez if you feel the need for an extra bowling option, otherwise adapting a middle-order bat would be the next best option, that option being Amla.

Refuse to pick Broad. WAC.

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Cook
Smith
Dravid
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Philander
Swann
Anderson
Ajmal

I got 2 spinners, if I only need 1 Broad goes in ahead of Ajmal on the account of Swann batting and I feel that I'd rather have a stronger tail and a video diary.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Cook
2. Taufeeq
3. Dravid
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Shakib
8. Broad
9. Philander
10. Ajmal
11. Anderson

Bolded ones the only locks IMO.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hafeez- Underrated spinner, and a more than handy batsmen who, in THIS year has more than proved himself at a measly 40 average

Trott-Stalwart for the England team, don't see why not, or who is going to replace him.

Boucher- THIS year he has been phenominally good, and I mean not just wicket-keeping.

Fernando-Meh.
This is Mark Boucher? The same guy who is barely clinging to his spot in the SA side, has made two fifties in 18 months, averages 23 for the year and 21 for that 18-month period, and has in fact only made two tons in twelve years, one of which was against Bangladesh?

Matt Prior says "Hi."

He also says "519 runs @ 65 with three centuries". In twelve months.

slowfinger

International Debutant
This is Mark Boucher? The same guy who is barely clinging to his spot in the SA side, has made two fifties in 18 months, averages 23 for the year and 21 for that 18-month period, and has in fact only made two tons in twelve years, one of which was against Bangladesh?

Matt Prior says "Hi."

Pri-zee-byebyes? Hmmm
In that case Sanga/Prior.

Jacknife

International Captain

Matt Prior says "Hi."

:lol::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jacknife

International Captain
1. Cook
2. Taufeeq
3. Dravid
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Prior
7. Shakib
8. Broad
9. Philander
10. Ajmal
11. Anderson

Bolded ones the only locks IMO.
I'd personally add Jimmy to that list as well. It's hard to leave Bresnan out, 21 wickets at 19 and 63 with the bat, only played 4 tests but Shakib has only played 5 and his stats even though they are decent don't compare(29 ball, 50 bat).

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, at this stage I'd have Jimmy as a lock but it's conceivable that Steyn and Philander could both overtake him before the year is out. And while I see the point about Bresnan, I'd rather a second spinner as opposed to a 5th seamer and despite averaging 63 I'd have huge reservations about Bresnan batting 7 in a team of the year. His batting is currently based on a very small sample size as opposed to Shakib who's scored nearly 500 runs for the year and will probably have 3 times as many runs as Brezzy before the year's out.

Woodster

International Captain
My World XI for 2011 is -

1. Cook
2. Hafeez
3. Dravid
4. Pietersen
5. Bell
6. Misbah
7. Prior
8. Broad
9. Steyn
10. Ajmal
11. Anderson

Picked Hafeez ahead of Taufeeq as his bowling is a big bonus, and I do like his batting. Been pretty good at the top for Pakistan, helps being a right-hander to complement Cook.The middle order have been excellent this year - Dravid, KP, Bell and Misbah. The keeping slot goes to Prior, and I've gone with Steyn despite playing only four Tests, but with 23 wickets at 17.91, and some of the spells he has bowled makes him a must for my team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Going for bowlers with 4-5 Tests and not going for Philander who got 4 5fers in 3 matches just doesn't seem right.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
World XI for 2011 - former stars fallen on hard times

1. Andrew Strauss (316 runs @ 28.72
2. Virender Sehwag (310 runs @ 28.18)
3. Ricky Ponting (293 runs @ 26.63)
4. Mahela Jayawardene (472 runs @ 24.84)
5. Thilan Samaraweera (356 runs @ 35.60)
6. Ramnaresh Sarwan (83 runs @ 10.37)
7. Brad Haddin (302 runs @ 21.57)
8. Mitch Johnson (13 wickets @ 56.61)
9. Harbhajan Singh (20 wickets @ 38.05)
10. Kemar Roach (7 wickets @ 55.14)
11. Sreesanth (13 wickets @ 52.76)