• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI for 2011?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
They may be good infact I rate Yadav and Ashwin quite highly but they are still largely unproven.
Unproven as long term Test options for varied conditions, indeed. However, as bowlers capable of running through West Indies on multiple occasions, surely they can be considered Test standard enough to validate Bravo's runs. Indeed, surely by running through West Indies, they, in those conditions, could be considered superior to the attacks (in the specific conditions) that England faced. I don't think I've said anything contentious there.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is everyone ignoring Sanga. I would have him and Dravid as guaranteed No 3 and 4.
Because his year has been nothing special by his standards, 2 superb knocks aside. Dravid, Pietersen and Bell are pretty much lock-ins at 3, 4 and 5. Could be considered for the sixth spot but too many other batsmen (Misbah, Bravo) have had better years, for me, not by much though, he has faced the best attacks.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is Swann being picked? He averaged 40 against India didn't he? (Though he did well against SL) Ajmal on the other hand, even when you exclude Zim and Bang, has better figures imo

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is Swann being picked? He averaged 40 against India didn't he? (Though he did well against SL) Ajmal on the other hand, even when you exclude Zim and Bang, has better figures imo
Because Pakistan haven't played anybody ranked in the top 4 that is why. Easy to get good figures against the dross.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Because Pakistan haven't played anybody ranked in the top 4 that is why. Easy to get good figures against the dross.
Not really Ajmal's fault, he's pretty much demolished everyone he's come up against and you can't ask much more than that. Would take Herath ahead too tbh, Swann hasn't had the greatest year.

Shri

Mr. Glass
1. A Cook
2. R Dravid
3. J Trott
4. K Pietersen
5. I Bell
6. M Prior
7. S Al Hasan
8. S Broad
9. D Steyn
10. V Philander
11. J Anderson

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
ODIs? Here goes:

1. S Tendulkar
2. S Watson
3. G Gambhir
4. V Kohli
5. Y Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. S Al Hasan
8. G Swann
9. B Lee
10. Z Khan
11. M Morkel

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Cook
Bell
Dravid
Pietersen
Misbah Ul Haq
Prior
Shakib
Broad
Kumar
Anderson
Ajmal

5 test cut-off

Steyn, Philander and Bresnan played too few tests in 2011 or they'd all be in.

Kumar/Rampaul the most contentious decision.

Decided to pick the top four without a second opener as they're so much ahead of any other opener.

Steyn will play his fifth test in 2011 so he'll probably be in after it in place of the third seamer.

smash84

The Tiger King
Cook
Bell
Dravid
Pietersen
Misbah Ul Haq
Prior
Shakib
Broad
Kumar
Anderson
Ajmal

5 test cut-off

Steyn, Philander and Bresnan played too few tests in 2011 or they'd all be in.

Kumar/Rampaul the most contentious decision.

Decided to pick the top four without a second opener as they're so much ahead of any other opener.

Steyn will play his fifth test in 2011 so he'll probably be in after it in place of the third seamer.
how many tests has Kumar played this year?

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Surprising to see no one has picked Trott.
He averaged barely 40 in tests in 2011. The most logical top three would probably consist of Cook, Dravid & Amla in some order. Amla may not have played many tests lately, but has scored heavily when given the chance.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
ODIs? Here goes:

1. S Tendulkar
2. G Gambhir
3. J Trott
4. V Kohli
5. Y Singh
6. MS Dhoni
7. S Al Hasan
8. G Swann
9. B Lee
10. Z Khan
11. M Morkel
On what basis does Tendulkar get in the ODI team of the year?

Shri

Mr. Glass
On the basis of playing roughly the same no. of ODIs as any other international player in 2011 and for averaging over 45 at a good strike rate. But yeah, thinking again, Watson was the best ODI opener this year imo. Added him to the XI as an opener and dropped Gambhir to no.3.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
He averaged barely 40 in tests in 2011. The most logical top three would probably consist of Cook, Dravid & Amla in some order. Amla may not have played many tests lately, but has scored heavily when given the chance.
Yeah looks like I screwed up in the statsguru filters somewhere. Averaged over 50 comfortably when I filtered his stats.

Edit: Yep, my filters are for the last 12 months and starts from Dec 23, 2010.

Teja.

Global Moderator
He had a pretty awesome world cup and was 15(iirc?) runs off being the highest run-scorer again.

Depending on how much weight you give to WC performances, In with a fair shout, IMO.