• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing Day Memories

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The upcoming Test match between Australia and India not only kicks off what's sure to be a great series between two rivals, but also marks one of the highlights of the cricketing calendar, the Boxing Day Test.

So, in honour of this wonderful event, I thought it might be appropriate for CW to share their favourite Boxing Day memories.

Eds

International Debutant
The awesomeness of that game just clouds the memory of every other Boxing Day Test there's ever been.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best one I can recall for sheer theatre is the Kim and Dennis show against the Windies.

Boxing Day massively over rated though really. It's just a test at a big ground when every **** is on holidays. The way the Victorians carry on you'd think it's been going since 1788.

Self important dickheads they are.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Every word Burgey has spoken in this thread is truth. (except I don't recall the Kim/Dennis show, just sayin)

Burgey

Haha. How ******** did Strauss look trying to play that shot? How I'll (quite rightly) always remember him. Out of his depth and bemused.

His series in 07 was the best example of a player wasting good form that I think I've ever seen. He seems to have addressed that problem though.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha. How ******** did Strauss look trying to play that shot? How I'll (quite rightly) always remember him.
I actually can't remember the delivery (all I can picture when I try and remember it is Shane Warne running around in celebration) but he surely can't have looked more ******** than he did in the 2nd (?) Test in 2005 when he tried to pad one away.

Burgey

I actually can't remember the delivery (all I can picture when I try and remember it is Shane Warne running around in celebration) but he surely can't have looked more ******** than he did in the 2nd (?) Test in 2005 when he tried to pad one away.
Tbf I think the ball he tried to pad away was shown by Hawkeye to be missing the stumps. I can't blame him for misjudging it. :)

The one in Melbourne was more a lazy shot, played across a fullish leg break iirc

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
not Boxing day but my Boxing test memory is Aamer's spell on the 4th morning during Pakistan's last tour he ran in for a whole session clocking 150 Kmph consistently. What a bloody ****ing waster of a talent.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He had the world at his feet. So much speed and movement. and he was smart too (at cricket not life decisions)

Spark

Global Moderator
That one spun about five miles, tbf, it's rough to blame him for misjudging that one.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of the non-England BD tests, I best remember a great stand between Hussey and McGrath versus the Saffers for the last wicket in 05/06. I think they put on over 100 togetther to take th total past 300 and turn a ticklish situation into a match winning one.

It was the classic "tailender with a proper batsman" partnership; dogged resistence from the big man (think he contributed about 10) and judisicious aggression from Hussey, who had just began his stupidly good run of form.

Len_SA

Cricket Spectator
Steyn/Duminy 180 run partnership on Day 3 of the '08 Boxing Day test was quite memorable. Went a long way in dragging SA back into that match when they seemed certain to concede a big first innings deficit.
Duminy was being touted as the next big thing after that series win. Pity he hasn't kicked on and locked down a place in the test team since.

Burgey

Of the non-England BD tests, I best remember a great stand between Hussey and McGrath versus the Saffers for the last wicket in 05/06. I think they put on over 100 togetther to take th total past 300 and turn a ticklish situation into a match winning one.

It was the classic "tailender with a proper batsman" partnership; dogged resistence from the big man (think he contributed about 10) and judisicious aggression from Hussey, who had just began his stupidly good run of form.
England and Bangladesh haven't played a test in Melbourne

:ph34r: