• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing Day Memories

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed with the first post that it's hard to look beyond 98ao and 157 for none 12 months ago.

Other memorables were Botham taking what may well have been his final test fivefor in 1986 with an astonishing bunch of long hops and wide half volleys that were way too good for that particular Aus lineup. And I vaguely recall Tavare blocking out most of the day in 1982.

EDIT
Checking the scorecards, I'd forgotten Gladstone Small's fivefor in the same innings. A more impressive performance than Beefy's, itbt.
Also I was a bit unfair on Tavare, who actually managed a strike-rate of more than 50 whilst holding England's first innings together. However, it was the end of that test which that really memorable, with England sneaking home by 3 runs.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh my favourite Boxing Day memory is when I received a 50 percent discount on this one pair of jeans i really wanted.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Highlights dont really do it justice as it was an unbelievable knock against one of the most fearsome attacks ever assembled (Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft - Jimmeh might've got a gig as their spinner :laugh:) on a green-top
Yup - the highlights only show the ones he put away and none of the ones that he had to fend off. Looking at the scorecard, it must have been an interesting wicket. Possibly the best Aus win in the 1980's?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Steyn/Duminy 180 run partnership on Day 3 of the '08 Boxing Day test was quite memorable. Went a long way in dragging SA back into that match when they seemed certain to concede a big first innings deficit.
Duminy was being touted as the next big thing after that series win. Pity he hasn't kicked on and locked down a place in the test team since.
This. The great Australia were toppled. And obviously the Ashes test last year.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I have fond memories of the 84/85 match - Viv got 208 having been on the worst run of form of his career to that point, then followed it with a duck in the second innings, nailed LBW by a big strapping debutant called McDermott. Andrew Hilditch wasn't yet the worst chairman of selectors of all time and got a match-saving second-innings ton which meant that Australia actually managed to draw the match rather than lose it, which in itself was a massive shock.

Australia then went on to win the 5th Test at Sydney (thank you Dutchie) and the revival of Australian cricket was underway. Or not.