Thread: ICC Announces fixtures for 2012 World Twenty20 Qualifier

U19 Captain

ICC Announces fixtures for 2012 World Twenty20 Qualifier

Sixteen teams compete for two World T20 spots

Sixteen Associate and Affiliate teams will compete for two available spots in the 2012 World Twenty20 during a 72-match qualifying tournament in the UAE from March 13 to 24.

The teams are divided into two groups of eight with the top three in each group having a chance to win a place in the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

The top two teams of each group will meet in the first qualifying final with the winner guaranteed a place at the World Twenty20. The loser of that match will play in the second qualifying final against the winner of a series of play-off matches. The winners of both qualifying finals will meet in the tournament final in Dubai.

The winner of the tournament will be pooled with Australia and West Indies in group B of the World Twenty20, while the other team will be in group A with defending champions England and 2007 winners India.

Afghanistan and Ireland made it from the qualifying tournament in 2010, with Afghanistan winning he competition by eight-wickets.

Group A
    Afghanistan, Netherlands, Canada, Papua New Guinea, Hong Kong, Bermuda, Denmark, Nepal.

Group B
    Ireland, Kenya, Scotland, Namibia, Uganda, Oman, Italy, USA.

ICC World Twenty20 2012: Sixteen teams compete for two World Twenty20 spots | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier | ESPN Cricinfo

U19 Captain
    When the process of 2012 World Twenty20 qualification was started at that time it was supposed to be 6 Associates / Affiliates for the World Twenty20, but ICC due to their ego hurt of reverting to 14 nation WC from 10 nation WC cut the World Twenty20 to 12 from 16 nations.

Now after 12 Tournaments held across the world it finally boils down to just 2 nations from 16 participating nations. A mock of whole affair

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    When the process of 2012 World Twenty20 qualification was started at that time it was supposed to be 6 Associates / Affiliates for the World Twenty20, but ICC due to their ego hurt of reverting to 14 nation WC from 10 nation WC cut the World Twenty20 to 12 from 16 nations.

Now after 12 Tournaments held across the world it finally boils down to just 2 nations from 16 participating nations. A mock of whole affair
    World governing body in incompetence shock.

Twenty20 WC is the perfect way to introduce more associates/affiliates, not less.

PNG for a few upsets and to make the final 6.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Tournaments Won: 1
    International Cricket Blog
    A blog post of mine including a section on the subject.

Personally I think its ridiculous that the ICC has made the T20 WC so small. This is the format that we need to use to get more countries interested in cricket so as to build the sport - limiting the number of minnows to such an extent is just shocking.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Go PNG.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Thread Information