• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinners

Who in your opinion is the best spinner of all time

• Shane Warne

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Clarrance Grimmet

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Richie Benaud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lance Gibbs

• Bill O'Reilly

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Arthur Mailey

• Stuart MacGill

• Jim Laker

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Bishen Bedi

• Abdul Qadir

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Anil Kumble

• Wilfred Rhodes

• Hugh Tayfeild

• other

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
The only reason I even included him was that on certain other forums I have actually run into idiots who beleive it or not , actually rate MacGill as one of the top few spinners of all time (Richard remember that Shane Sitek dude:lol: ) & I was just checking if there were any such examples of arrogance on here.
Do you have to ask?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
MacGill is a Test standard spinner which half the cricket sides in the world would like to have at their disposal
I have to say that I prefer him to be at Australia's disposal. He's much more useful to England serving up his tripe for our batsmen to hit than playing for us and leaching runs to whomever feels like clouting him. And I say that in full consciousness that a country which has Ashley Giles as its nominally top spin bowler has clearly abandoned all hope that spin will ever be useful for anything.

And before any mad Australians start digging up his career stats against England, I'd point out that he was successful five years ago when all you had to do to make an English batsman lose his lunch was whisper that one of the bowlers on the opposing side was a leggie, but he was one of the main reasons why England looked competitive at the MCG and won at the SCG now that English batsmen are reasonably competent when facing the slow bowlers. (That's "reasonably competent", by the way, which is not equivalent to "utterly dominant" despite what Australian Pom-bashers would like to think I've said there.)

Cheers,

Mike

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Warne for me. Sri Lankas othe bowlers apart from Murali are rubbish, so batsmen now have worked out just to block him, and I think batsmen just block him now, and clobber the other bowlers

iamdavid

International Debutant
halsey said:
Warne for me. Sri Lankas othe bowlers apart from Murali are rubbish, so batsmen now have worked out just to block him, and I think batsmen just block him now, and clobber the other bowlers
You forget the man of many initials , WPUJC Vaas:P

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I forgot about Chris Tavare.

Record slowest 50 in test cricket. 350 minutes...has Rahul Dravid broken that record yet?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Indian Test Strike Rates

Sehwag 68.56
Agarkar 50.21
Tendulkar 56.57
Laxman 48.96
Ganguly 48.32
Jaffer 45.70
Dravid 41.34
Das 38.91
Patel 38.14
Chopra 37.29
Bangar 32.48
Ratra 30.58
Dasgupta 30.55
Yuvraj 23.58

I think you're being a bit harsh!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Getting back on topic, I also don't rate Murali all that highly, because he has played at least a quarter of all his tests against Zim. I can't remember exactly what it is, but his average againts Aus is 35-40, and I remember his RPO is above 3

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Murali has played 82 Test matches

12 vs Zimbabwe, India, Pakistan & South Africa
10 vs New Zealand
8 vs West Indies
7 vs England & Australia
2 vs Bangladesh

12/82 = 14.6%

Against Australia, he averages 41.90 with the ball with an economy of 3.00 (as opposed to 23.55 and 2.35)

Fair point, but look at Warne's record against India (55.44 and 3.12) and no one is arguing that he's not a top class spinner.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
halsey said:
Away, Murali averages 27.81, compared to Warne's 25.33. In other words Murali is crap when it does not spin
Away for Warne includes the whole subcontinent though.