• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does strikerate matter in judging a test bowler?

subshakerz

International Coach
I was wondering about this question after looking at Dale Steyn's amazing strikerate compared to his peers and those before him. But then, how useful an indicator is this in measuring a bowler vs. a conventional measure like average? Is the tendency to pick up a wicket quickly more valuable than the cost of your wicket? What do you think?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Assuming average as workload as constants - the better a bowler's strike rate, the more influence he will have over the fortunes of an attack overall. So you want your better bowlers in terms of average to have high economy rates and low strike rates, and your support bowlers to be the opposite.

This is why it's a factor when judging the greats; they were all better than the mean standard of the rest of their attack (freak West Indies lineup possibly withstanding). Third and fourth bowlers in attack, assuming their averages won't change, are better off being economy-based with higher strike rates though as it minimises their effect and allows the better bowlers to count for more.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly think average is more important because that's what would affect the score the opposition will get to. SRs are good to look at and go "oh wow" at

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yes, Assuming averages are around constant (Say an ATG standard), Someone with a superior SR(Say about 10 lower) should be picked. :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Certainly think average is more important because that's what would affect the score the opposition will get to. SRs are good to look at and go "oh wow" at
A low SR affects the oppo's score as well, though. If you have a bowler with a low strike rate then you're more likely to skittle sides.

Ruckus

International Captain
It's important, but more to do with the kind of intangible qualities in a game. I think it's pretty similar to asking if a batsman's SR is important. Often a batsman with a relatively high SR can help demoralise bowlers and change the momentum of the game more than someone with a lesser SR. Similarly, a bowler with a low SR can also often induce a collapse because of the pressure posed by wickets falling in relatively few balls (i.e. quickly in time).

Overall though, something like SR is going to be far less important in test cricket, where there is minimal time constraints, than the bowling average.

DingDong

State Captain
there needs to be a single stat that takes in s/r, e/r avg and opposition to give a meaningful number u can compare to others. s/r by itself is useless

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My counter argument to that would that 100/5 is a dire situation irrespective of whether in happens in 20 overs or 40 overs. While batting however 200/2 in 30 overs means the bowlers are demoralized, fielding is less attacking compared to a situation when you have the same score in 70 overs. That's my feeling on that.

Ruckus

International Captain
My counter argument to that would that 100/5 is a dire situation irrespective of whether in happens in 20 overs or 40 overs. While batting however 200/2 in 30 overs means the bowlers are demoralized, fielding is less attacking compared to a situation when you have the same score in 70 overs. That's my feeling on that.
Yeh that's true, but I guess I was saying a situation of being 100/5 is more likely to occur if you have a bowling attack with a low SR bowler than one with high SR bowler. Even if the bowling average is the same, wickets falling for the same amount of runs but in quicker time will create a sense of pressure much more than if they fall more slowly. It's sounds like a kind of paradox if you are comparing two bowlers with the same average, but I think the difference would lie in how it improves the performance of the other bowlers in the team (or, put another way, weakens the performance of the opposition batsmen). Obviously there are other factors that can come into play though. Comparing these things is never simple!

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Very handy. Test cricket is about partnerships and breaking them.
You can simply say, preserving wickets and taking wickets. Why obfuscate :p

"Need partnerships" is one of those phrases that is kinda empty. All you are saying is don't get out.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming a particular bowling average, the better the SR, the worse the ER. Both are important, and you could argue in favour of either as being more important. SR means you'll keep the game moving, and help your fellow bowlers by exposing fresh batsmen more quickly; ER means you can keep control of the opposition and help your fellow bowlers by increasing pressure.

Those who favour a good SR might regard a maiden over where you don't take a wicket as a bad thing. Those who favour a good ER might say the opposite.

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on.

But what is obviously far and away more important than either is bowling average.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Assuming a particular bowling average, the better the SR, the worse the ER. Both are important, and you could argue in favour of either as being more important. SR means you'll keep the game moving, and help your fellow bowlers by exposing fresh batsmen more quickly; ER means you can keep control of the opposition and help your fellow bowlers by increasing pressure.

Those who favour a good SR might regard a maiden over where you don't take a wicket as a bad thing. Those who favour a good ER might say the opposite.

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on.

But what is obviously far and away more important than either is bowling average.
For me personally, at the same average a bowler with a lower SR is better and more pleasing to watch than one with a lower ER.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Low strike rate bowlers like Steyn tend to bowl very attacking, full lines, which is why they tend to have higher economy rates. In modern test cricket, I would say low strike rates are far more important just because there are so few of them around.

Ideally you want a balance of low strike rates/high economy rates and high strike rates low economy rates but there's a disproportionate number of 'defensive' bowlers around compared to attacking ones, so the attacking ones are more valuable.

I would say the reason for that in the modern game is the advent of more attacking batting in test cricket.