• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does strikerate matter in judging a test bowler?

Satguru

Banned
It's not desperate. I'm not trying to defend Sobers bowling at all, it's why I used the other example of Gibbs and MacGill too. I just don't rate Kallis the bowler as highly as many others do.

Also, It's just plain and simple that for bowlers averaging the same in two different eras, the more recent bowler is going to have the better strike rate. If they have the same strike rate, the bowler from the previous era will have the better average..

The gap of 68 of Kallis and Sobers 92 is definitely large and means that Kallis is still the better strike bowler across their whole careers, but I'm not sure who's better against stronger opposition.
Yeah, even i dont rate Kallis too highly as a bowler :p
But his stats are actually pretty decent and consistent against most opposition too. I compared kallis and Sobers because everyone reached a consensus that SR could be used to separate two bowlers with similar records.
About the SR for Sobers' era, was it generally that high for the bowlers of his time? I find it hard to believe, really. :dry:

smash84

The Tiger King
It's not desperate. I'm not trying to defend Sobers bowling at all, it's why I used the other example of Gibbs and MacGill too. I just don't rate Kallis the bowler as highly as many others do.

Also, It's just plain and simple that for bowlers averaging the same in two different eras, the more recent bowler is going to have the better strike rate. If they have the same strike rate, the bowler from the previous era will have the better average..

The gap of 68 of Kallis and Sobers 92 is definitely large and means that Kallis is still the better strike bowler across their whole careers, but I'm not sure who's better against stronger opposition.
btw NUFAN you should check out one eye-popping stat for Sobers.

His SR against Pakistan is 300+

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I would agree with soe above that the match situations must be accounted for. Sobers bowled in onder to strangle the opposition, allowing the pace battery to blow them away when they went looking for more runs.

Kallis goes out to take wickets. Sobers's role was more of assisting the the other quicks.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I would agree with soe above that the match situations must be accounted for. Sobers bowled in onder to strangle the opposition, allowing the pace battery to blow them away when they went looking for more runs.

Kallis goes out to take wickets. Sobers's role was more of assisting the the other quicks.
Had the ability to bowl long spells too. I was watching a doco the other day, and it talked about Sobers bowling a 30-odd over spell (correct me if I'm wrong) after Alf Valentine managed to end up with swollen hands after spending a night playing the bongo drums.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ffs, keep reading the title of this thread as 'Does silentstriker matter in judging a test bowler?'

And the answer to that question is unequivocally no.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Had the ability to bowl long spells too. I was watching a doco the other day, and it talked about Sobers bowling a 30-odd over spell (correct me if I'm wrong) after Alf Valentine managed to end up with swollen hands after spending a night playing the bongo drums.
which doco was Sir? Would be interested to watch something about the great man