• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do with Sri Lanka?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GF, in the period of Murali's debut - his retirement. How many Tests did they play without him?

Also, what do people think is SL's best lineup at the minute? (Test average in the last 2 years)

Paranavitana (38.15)
Dilshan (33.48)(43.46)
Sangakkarra (62.34)
Jayawardene (32.55)
Samaraweera (58.07)
Mathews (45.71)
Silva (14.00) - rate him more than Prasanna Jayawardene
Herath (30.00)(32.00)
Nuwan Kulasekara (17.00) - only played one Test, I love him though.
Welegedara (38.00) Only serviceable seamer they've had
?????

Thirimanne would be the batsman closest to making the team I'd guess. With Dilshan's pretty awful form, though of course he won't be dropped as captain. If Mathews could bowl then you could look at picking another spinner in the final spot, one of Sennanyake, Prassana, Randiv or maybe even Mendis. Could maybe still get away with doing that at home if the pitches were conducive to spin. Otherwise it'll have to be some turd seamer like Fernando/Lakmalololol

ganeshran

International Debutant
GF meant in whole of SL's years as a test nation
But Lanka were rank minnows in the 80s and early 90s. Their rise as a team coincided with Murali's rise and though he had a lot to do with it, there were other factors too like Aravinda, Ranatunga, Vaas and Sanath to a certain extent.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you could easily look at Lakmal's record and come to that conclusion. But by watching him bowl you can see he's so obviously better than Fernando. That's that it's hard mind.

MrPrez

International Debutant
GF, in the period of Murali's debut - his retirement. How many Tests did they play without him?

Also, what do people think is SL's best lineup at the minute? (Test average in the last 2 years)

Paranavitana (38.15)
Dilshan (33.48)(43.46)
Sangakkarra (62.34)
Jayawardene (32.55)
Samaraweera (58.07)
Mathews (45.71)
Herath (30.00)(32.00)
?????

Thirimanne would be the batsman closest to making the team I'd guess. With Dilshan's pretty awful form, though of course he won't be dropped as captain. If Mathews could bowl then you could look at picking another spinner in the final spot, one of Sennanyake, Prassana, Randiv or maybe even Mendis. Could maybe still get away with doing that at home if the pitches were conducive to spin. Otherwise it'll have to be some turd seamer like Fernando/Lakmalololol
Surprised me, haven't been following SL cricket much recently.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Surprised me, haven't been following SL cricket much recently.
It's taken him absolutely ages to get to 9,999 Test runs - I'm pretty sure he was close to 9,700 before the tour of England.

A century against Australia aside, he's been pretty woeful this year.

Himannv

International Coach

Paranavitana (38.15)
Dilshan (33.48)(43.46)
Sangakkarra (62.34)
Jayawardene (32.55)
Samaraweera (58.07)
Mathews (45.71)
Herath (30.00)(32.00)
?????

I reckon Chandimal isn't too far away from making the test team. The question is, who would have to make way to accommodate him in the side.

Lostman

State Captain
Samaraweera which was supposed to happen against Pakistan.
But the management on tour "knew better"

Jarquis

Well you could easily look at Lakmal's record and come to that conclusion. But by watching him bowl you can see he's so obviously better than Fernando. That's that it's hard mind.
I've seen Lakmal bowl.... and still thought he was god awful.

Jarquis

I reckon Chandimal isn't too far away from making the test team. The question is, who would have to make way to accommodate him in the side.
While I agree Chandimal should be in around the squad, I don't see a way to accomodate him in the side as you say. SL's 3-6 is surprisingly solid unless he could come in for Samaraweera in away games? Which would be pushing it seeing as Thilan has been the 2nd best performer all in all.
Bring in Chandiguns for a bowler. Because hey they won't do anything anyway.
Could be an option. Sangakarra to bowl first change, Samraraweera and Dilshan to make up the 5th bowler.