• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do with Sri Lanka?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah and now you have Siddle taking it. Least he runs in all day etc...
Indeed. This only proves my point though. England could have come here and scored twice as many runs as they did last year, and have had two or three LolSwanns in their attack. It wouldn't have mattered. Their quicks did the damage. Its why they're number one.

flibbertyjibber

Indeed. This only proves my point though. England could have come here and scored twice as many runs as they did last year, and have had two or three LolSwanns in their attack. It wouldn't have mattered. Their quicks did the damage. Its why they're number one.
Agreed, and why we look like we may stay as top dog for a bit and will almost certainly be top 3 for a while as we have depth to our pace attack where most sides are struggling to find 3 decent ones to put on the field at the same time.

It is why Zimbabwe have more potential than Bangladesh to improve and give the better sides a run for their money as they have a couple of decent pacemen to go with their good spinner, Bangladesh are a 1 man attack and will always struggle until Shakib gets some help. Sri Lanka aren't even a 1 man attack at present which is a bit depressing.

Last edited:

Burgey

Agreed, and why we look like we may stay as top dog for a bit and will almost certainly be top 3 for a while as we have depth to our pace attack where most sides are struggling to find 3 decent ones to put on the field at the same time.

It is why Zimbabwe have more potential than Bangladesh to improve and give the better sides a run for their money as they have a couple of decent pacemen to go with their good spinner, Bangladesh are a 1 man attack and will always struggle until Shakib gets some help. Sri Lanka aren't even a 1 man attack at present which is a bit depressing.
A lot of your first choicers are at the right age to be at it near their prime too. From our POV we have some good ones coming through but they're a while off what you'd expect their peaks to be, assuming they even stay fit enough to be long term options.

flibbertyjibber

A lot of your first choicers are at the right age to be at it near their prime too. From our POV we have some good ones coming through but they're a while off what you'd expect their peaks to be, assuming they even stay fit enough to be long term options.
Well there is us and SA with the best pace attacks and you have bags of potential but the trouble is you never know which kids who make a promising start will kick on. After all Dominic Cork took 7-43 on his debut and he was a big hit wasn't he. The worry would be Cummins being injured already and Pattinson has had problems too, if they stay fit and you get one top bowler and one solid one you will be well on the way to a good attack again, just the batting and keeper to sort out then.

Zinzan

Ummmm, pretty simple answer for mine, the two M's; (Murali & Malinga) no longer play Test cricket, and the 3rd M (Mendis) seems now to have only been a 1st-season wonder, hence they now struggle to get 20 wickets. I'm confident NZ would beat them in a Test series in NZ conditions atm and I wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago.

Himannv

International Coach
Solutions:

1. Pay the players.
2. Change captain.
3. Kick them out of test cricket for a while.

Himannv

International Coach
ICC has paid them directly so lets see if this has any effect on the motivation levels
Not the full amount as yet but who knows, they may have been holding back on their performances since they weren't being paid. Personally I wouldn't blame them for doing something like that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh and sorting out the board may not be the worst idea either.
The ridiculous situation you have where the Minister of Sport can just say "nah, try again" when the selectors name a team or a certain player needs to be sorted too.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Not the full amount as yet but who knows, they may have been holding back on their performances since they weren't being paid. Personally I wouldn't blame them for doing something like that.
I dont think they would be purposefully underperforming. But lack of payment is a demotivating factor in any job.

Himannv

International Coach
The ridiculous situation you have where the Minister of Sport can just say "nah, try again" when the selectors name a team or a certain player needs to be sorted too.
Agreed. Too many aspects of the way things are run there are unprofessional and leading towards practices which can be considered as "corruption".

I dont think they would be purposefully underperforming. But lack of payment is a demotivating factor in any job.
I don't know. I can certainly see a scenario where the senior players, who are already assured of their spots, could stonewall and underperform a bit until they get paid properly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They've always been fairly average - they've yet to win a Test in India, Australia or South Africa and their 2 wins in England have owed an enormous amount to Murali, who took 16 and 11 wickets respectively (9 and 8 in the second innings) in Sri Lanka's wins.

They've punched massively above their weight for 10-15 years thanks to the presence of Murali, who certainly has a claim on the "greatest bowler of all time accolade." Without Murali, Sri Lanka have won a grand total of 7 Tests in their history.