• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do with Sri Lanka?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon a team with 3-4 world class spinners could do the same though, we've just never witnessed that side

awta for the most part tho

Would call him average to decent
See above, India had it in the 70s. Away from dust bowls they had Nowt. How would that team go in Hobart or SA? Or on the pitches in England, against a team with 3 decent pacers and a serviceable spinner? They'd get smashed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This thread isn't really about whether or not they have the potential to become a dominant #1 side though.

Burgey

This thread isn't really about whether or not they have the potential to become a dominant #1 side though.
Yes true. It's never happened in the history of CW before that the discussion in a thread might move on.

They'd kill for Vaas now, no doubt. And Murali of course. He'd make them, if nothing else, incredibly hard to beat at home.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes true. It's never happened in the history of CW before that the discussion in a thread might move on.
There doesn't seem to have been any sort of natural progression though; you just started talking about it for no particular reason. :p

morgieb

Not yet.

Truly though, if you want to be number one for any decent period of time in test cricket you need good-to-great fast bowlers.

If you don't have them. you're pulling your pud. SL can get as many Vaas' and decent spinners as they like. If you aint got quicks in post-WW2 test cricket, you're a pretender to the throne.
India proved that you don't need great pacers to have success at test cricket.

Burgey

There doesn't seem to have been any sort of natural progression though; you just started talking about it for no particular reason. :p
See, Tories always talk within the paradigm.

The point is, if SL or anyone else, wants to be number one, they decent a stock of good or better quicks.

For countries like SL, that means breaking their pre-existing paradigms. Otherwise, you're happy with somewhere between 3-5 in the rankings long term.

And that stinks, if you're happy with that.

Burgey

India proved that you don't need great pacers to have success at test cricket.
What? They've been number one for 6 months or so in 70 years!!!! And that was largely on the back of Zaheer making them competitive away. Now there's a consistent home and away structure in palce in terms of the test program, you can't dominate an era without quicks.

Being number one for a year is an achievement, but you can't tell me Zaheer + mediocre quick + good spinners = recipe for long term domination. Can't be.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, yeah he is. But you can have four decent/ very good spinners, a la India here in 77 when they had Chandra, Prasanna, Bedi and Venkat against a second string Australian side save for Thommo. But you will not dominate an era unless you have decent-very good quicks.

People on here can blow as many loads as they like over spinners, it's a fact.
Yeah I definitely agree was just for arguments sake disagreeing with NasserFan about the current state of Sri Lanka's bowling stocks.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
See above, India had it in the 70s. Away from dust bowls they had Nowt. How would that team go in Hobart or SA? Or on the pitches in England, against a team with 3 decent pacers and a serviceable spinner? They'd get smashed.
Don't know if I'd say India had 3-4 world class spinners at once, and during the 70s they had other problems anyway.

Just saying I don't see why its impossible.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha.......at least get SL get back to really competitive rather than making them a dominant force overnight

Burgey

Don't know if I'd say India had 3-4 world class spinners at once, and during the 70s they had other problems anyway.

Just saying I don't see why its impossible.
Because with the way the schedule is, you're going to play as many games away as at home. So if you play an attack centred on mediocre pace but decent/ great spinners in SA, England or here, you'll get dutifully smacked.

WI in the 80s and Aus 00s show you can succeeed on flat/ turning pitches with very good/ great quicks. Even SA's record with Donald and Pollock on the SC was pretty decent IIRC (cbf looking it up). The reverse just isn't the case.

Burgey

haha.......at least get SL get back to really competitive rather than making them a dominant force overnight
Well if you're happy with 3rd-5th for your team, that's fine. If you're aiming for that you're aiming to fail.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Because with the way the schedule is, you're going to play as many games away as at home. So if you play an attack centred on mediocre pace but decent/ great spinners in SA, England or here, you'll get dutifully smacked.

WI in the 80s and Aus 00s show you can succeeed on flat/ turning pitches with very good/ great quicks. Even SA's record with Donald and Pollock on the SC was pretty decent IIRC (cbf looking it up). The reverse just isn't the case.
In my book the best spinners should succeed all over the globe too.

I agree that fast bowlers have the advantage, I just don't think its impossible and we will probably see it happen at some point

Burgey

In my book the best spinners should succeed all over the globe too.

I agree that fast bowlers have the advantage, I just don't think its impossible and we will probably see it happen at some point
They maybe should, but they won't.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well if you're happy with 3rd-5th for your team, that's fine. If you're aiming for that you're aiming to fail.
dude.....I think senility is setting in with you ......think about what I have said

making them dominant overnight and over time are 2 different things.

Things don't change overnight, you require time and you need to set goals to reach over a period of time.

Burgey

dude.....I think senility is setting in with you ......think about what I have said

making them dominant overnight and over time are 2 different things.

Things don't change overnight, you require time and you need to set goals to reach over a period of time.
And I think lack of any understanding of cricket is settling in with you. But I've thought that for quite some time, seeing as you want to deal in gratuitious insults.

Your plan has to be number one. If you are aiming lower than that you are aiming too low.

smash84

The Tiger King
And I think lack of any understanding of cricket is settling in with you. But I've thought that for quite some time, seeing as you want to deal in gratuitious insults.

Your plan has to be number one. If you are aiming lower than that you are aiming too low.
sorry about that but your post sounded really condescending

My point is that it is all good to say "aim for the top spot" but reality is that it takes time to get there. You don't wake up one morning and say "we are the kings of the world from now on".

It takes prep and planning and you take it piece meal. Their are short term, medium term, and long term targets that have to be met.

SL needs to have those in place.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every time I read Burgey's post about SL needing a fast bowler to be a top team I think of this bloke:

Chill out Burgey, I've got this...

:ph34r:

Burgey

Every time I read Burgey's post about SL needing a fast bowler to be a top team I think of this bloke:

Chill out Burgey, I've got this...

:ph34r:
If he had to do the same again, he would my friend..

Decent ones ffs.

Burgey

sorry about that but your post sounded really condescending

My point is that it is all good to say "aim for the top spot" but reality is that it takes time to get there. You don't wake up one morning and say "we are the kings of the world from now on".

It takes prep and planning and you take it piece meal. Their are short term, medium term, and long term targets that have to be met.

SL needs to have those in place.
Fine, but if their plan lacks a strategy to base their attack around a decent stable of fast bowlers they will not excel in enough places to be considered a long term number one side.

Look, I remember when our side in the 80s had Border plus young guns like
Waugh, Boon and Jones. But it didn't matter when we had Tony ****ing Dodemaide taking new rock.

Last edited: