Thread: "What makes a fast bowler?" - Corey

All Time Legend Paid The Umpire's Avatar

"What makes a fast bowler?" - Corey

Bravo, I like it alot.

I think your points are valid, Jeff Thompson, is ultimatly the best "fast" bowler of all time, but is that write?

McGrath is the best bowler currently when you compare his speed and length. But honestly who is the fastest? I think Lee, then a Aktar a close second.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words.

I think your points are valid, Jeff Thompson, is ultimatly the best "fast" bowler of all time, but is that write?
    He was never the 'best' bowler but Thommo certainly has a pretty strong claim to be the fastest. As I said, the method of measurement back then was much slower in terms of time from taking the measurement to seeing it on the screen, but was far more accurate. The machines these days sacrifice the accuracy and precision (they are NOT equivalent terms, to all of you who would say that!) for the convenience of appearing on the screen straight away.

Having said that, the newer cameras are still very accurate but only on certain types of deliveries. Because they measure the speed out of the hand, bouncers tend to bugger up the measurement a little. I'm sure you've noticed that bouncers tend to be slower than the average speed for most bowlers. Taller bowlers tend to get a raw deal with the camera too.

Having only seen footage of Thommo bowling, it's hard to say but he certainly appears quicker than the other two.

McGrath is the best bowler currently when you compare his speed and length.
    Yeah I agree. It seems as if team's plans towards him centre around just keeping him out, rather than actually trying to dminate him.

But honestly who is the fastest? I think Lee, then a Aktar a close second.
    I concur. I think it'll only be a matter of time before things click for Brett one day and then we'll see some seriously quick bowling. If he really lets go, it could be quite a sight. Either way, the series between Pakistan and Australia (technically in our off-season) just got a whole lot more interesting!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Debutant
    Good call mate
    Western Australia: Producing Fast Bowlers since 1901

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    yea i think lee is faster but if shoaibs bowling so far is legal confirmed by icc then shoiab is
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

U19 Debutant
    It depends on the pitch, form, weather, a lot of factors have to be taken into account to decide who is faster

[Edited on 5/5/02 by FrontierPsychiartrist]

Thread Information