• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"What makes a fast bowler?" - Corey

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Bravo, I like it alot. :)

I think your points are valid, Jeff Thompson, is ultimatly the best "fast" bowler of all time, but is that write?

McGrath is the best bowler currently when you compare his speed and length. But honestly who is the fastest? I think Lee, then a Aktar a close second.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I think your points are valid, Jeff Thompson, is ultimatly the best "fast" bowler of all time, but is that write?
He was never the 'best' bowler but Thommo certainly has a pretty strong claim to be the fastest. As I said, the method of measurement back then was much slower in terms of time from taking the measurement to seeing it on the screen, but was far more accurate. The machines these days sacrifice the accuracy and precision (they are NOT equivalent terms, to all of you who would say that!:D) for the convenience of appearing on the screen straight away.

Having said that, the newer cameras are still very accurate but only on certain types of deliveries. Because they measure the speed out of the hand, bouncers tend to bugger up the measurement a little. I'm sure you've noticed that bouncers tend to be slower than the average speed for most bowlers. Taller bowlers tend to get a raw deal with the camera too.

Having only seen footage of Thommo bowling, it's hard to say but he certainly appears quicker than the other two.

McGrath is the best bowler currently when you compare his speed and length.
Yeah I agree. It seems as if team's plans towards him centre around just keeping him out, rather than actually trying to dminate him.

But honestly who is the fastest? I think Lee, then a Aktar a close second.
I concur. I think it'll only be a matter of time before things click for Brett one day and then we'll see some seriously quick bowling. If he really lets go, it could be quite a sight. Either way, the series between Pakistan and Australia (technically in our off-season) just got a whole lot more interesting! :D

It depends on the pitch, form, weather, a lot of factors have to be taken into account to decide who is faster

[Edited on 5/5/02 by FrontierPsychiartrist]