• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How hard is opening the batting?

Who has the right idea here?

• Total voters

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've only ever opened the batting twice. Duck first time, and my only ever half century - 78, since you ask - the second time. So it's harder but easier. Or something.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's pretty rewarding at a personal level to cop a peppering from the new ball but see it off and to have done a job for the team, get to the first drinks break then reassess.

Hard yards and all that.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway think I have achieved a feat that very few of the great openers have. Managed to get myself stumped in the first over, no it was not a spinner, and no the keeper was not standing-up to the stumps.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I used to bat between 4, 5 and 6 in school days as I was the wicketkeeper as well. Tended to bat through and be not out on a number of occassions, even when I was in during the 5th over of a 30 over game and it always felt so so good. Can only imagine how much better it would be if you opened and went back in not out when your side has been bowled out...

I did open some 6 or 7 times but apart from one good knock of 50+, I never went past 15, I think.. :(

Redbacks

International Captain
Anyway think I have achieved a feat that very few of the great openers have. Managed to get myself stumped in the first over, no it was not a spinner, and no the keeper was not standing-up to the stumps.
My friend was facing a spinner in the first over and took a couple paces down the wicket, left the ball as it was wide and got stumped. :wacko:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I got stumped on 90 odd last year off an opening bowler with the second new ball. Went down the track to nudge a single as the bloke at the other end was ********. I missed it and was too old/ tired/ slow to get back.

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Opening the batting is the hardest job in cricket, no matter what the state of the wicket. It's only fun if the opening bowlers are dreadful, and that doesn't happen very often. Don't know about the premise of the original question though. Putting run values on it is difficult.

Riggins

International Captain
marto batted 4 and liked to open in limited overs games, therefore i like to bat 4, and open in l/o. concindentally i promise...!!

edit -
I've just worked out the relevance of the irrelevant option. I am slow.
and i don't get this.

Last edited: