• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers you would like to invite for a cup of coffee

Xuhaib

International Coach
or a pint of bear if your preference is off the alcoholic variety.

Younis Khan- Comes across as a genuinely nice bloke every time you see him doing interviews on the telly. Also being a senior most cricketer it would be nice to get an insight at how the Pakistani dressing room atmosphere has evolved over his career.

Ian Chappel- Like his commentary also comes across as a wise old man with lots of stories to tell, I am sure we could just fill in 3-4 hours with only him talking about the good ol' days.

Sreesanth- Curious to see whether he is the same comical idiot as he comes across on television.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Reckon I wouldn't be facing too much competition from the forumers on this one: Geoff Boycott :cool:

And as he likes it, orange juice for the great Yorkshireman and rum + coke for myself! :cheers:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Chappel- Like his commentary also comes across as a wise old man with lots of stories to tell, I am sure we could just fill in 3-4 hours with only him talking about the good ol' days.
Is there anyone out there who hasn't read my story about the time Ian Chappell bought me a pint? If not I am willing to repeat it (again)

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Ian Chappell, Ian Botham, and Martin Crowe.

Crowe for the conversation, the Ians for the entertainment.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Imran Khan for coffee and dinner. Then a few shots of vodka with Prior and Trott. Meeting wasted Afridi in some dance club afterwards would make it the perfect night :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is there anyone out there who hasn't read my story about the time Ian Chappell bought me a pint? If not I am willing to repeat it (again)
I haven't had the pleasure. :)

I once had a piss next to Bob Willis at The Oval; 4th day of the 1998 test v the Lankans. Told him I'd always been an admirer of his impressive length.* :ph34r:

Anyway, it'd have to be Gautam Gambhir for me. Invite him in for coffee and when he's settled: bah! The old fork in the eye.

*Only the first sentence of this paragraph may actually be factually accurate.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I haven't had the pleasure. :)
Have you had me on ignore in the past Brumbers?

Anyway upset as I am at your revelation here 'tis

In the autumn of 1979 I was sat in a pub in Lytham St Annes with a couple of mates. During the course of the evening Chappelli came in with an entourage and sat at the table next to us. I have to say that beyond recognising him when he walked in we wouldn't have noticed him although he may well have picked up on the fact that his presence set myself and my mates off talking about the Packer circus and everything flowing from that which was big news at the time.

It must have been before the 1979/80 tour because I am sure we would have made some comments had the Ashes just been won 4-1 by England!

Anyway in due course I had the call of nature and went to the gents and in the middle of what I was doing Chappell walked in. He stood next to me and his first action was to let rip an impressively loud and rasping fart followed very rapidly by an equally loud and rasping belch. He then looked at me and said "the beer in this place is f****** p***”

I didn't really know what to say to that and my first thought was to be a bit concerned that perhaps I had said something in the bar that may have offended him so I kept quiet. He started to chuckle and looked at me again and said "did you realise I was Ian Chappell". My immediate reaction to that, and one which I must confess I had already prepared in the lounge thinking that he might say something like that when he was sat next to us, was "No I thought you were John Snow's bunny".

At this he roared with laughter but I still thought discretion was the better part of valour and left and went back to my table. When he came back into the bar shortly afterwards he made for the bar and bought a pint each for myself and my mates which he brought over in excellent humour and told us the pints were because I'd given him a line for his after-dinner speaking. Whether he ever used it I have no idea

I suppose I should have tried to get some piece of signed memorabilia from him but unfortunately being a young 'un I was just too overawed

slowfinger

International Debutant
Zulqy Haider, only if he doesn't steal my money...

Aha, otherwise L O V E to discuss the fact that he went to the same school as me with Imran Khan and probs Holding. Or for the laughs maybe Ntini?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd invite Harb Singh for a pint of bear. The bear would have course been starved for weeks beforehand, it would preferably be rabid as well.
Literally laughed out loud at this, well done

Loved fred's story too though admittedly I've read it a few times now. Fantastic stuff.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha well played Tangy.

I've had a beer with a number of high profile cricketers, but Richie Benaud is one scalp I'd love to claim.