• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will India have a new captain at the helm for 2015 World Cup?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dhoni definitely won't be captain for the 2015 WC. In fact I can't remember the last time an Indian captain backed up WCs. It was probably Azharuddin in 96 and 99 but I he didn't have captaincy for some of the years in between.

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dhoni definitely won't be captain for the 2015 WC. In fact I can't remember the last time an Indian captain backed up WCs. It was probably Azharuddin in 96 and 99 but I he didn't have captaincy for some of the years in between.
As far as I can think,the next captain will be Kohli or to a lesser extent,it may be Gambhir.But who will be the wicket keeper if dhoni goes away for permanent?Parthiv does not inspire a lot of confidence.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No one knew who the wicket keeper would be in 2003 for 2007 but Dhoni came along. Same thing will happen.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say it's his best format by a ways, so I personally wouldn't be surprised if he's still at the helm. More than justifies a place without the gauntlets, so could give the keeping away (in ODIs) to prolong his career.

Would prefer a better keeper than Parthiv to take over if he does tho. Looked shoddy versus the Windies.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Saha is on top in the pecking order for Dhoni's long term replacement. Its time he is consistently given chances to test whether he is fit for the job or not.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No way will Dhoni be captain for that competition unless it is a comeback as captain, he will get sacked when the inevitable slide occurs when the stars retire and the team lose more matches. Hope he is still around as a player though.

scorpio1990

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No way will Dhoni be captain for that competition unless it is a comeback as captain, he will get sacked when the inevitable slide occurs when the stars retire and the team lose more matches. Hope he is still around as a player though.
Which stars are going to retire from ODI Team?Yuvraj,Kohli,Rohit,Gambhir or any of the other younger guys in the team.On the other hand the only senior stars in the team are Sachin and Sehwag.On Sehwag,I don't know if he will be around till 2015,But Sachin is already not playing more than a majority of ODI's.
Or are you talking about test team?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Which stars are going to retire from ODI Team?Yuvraj,Kohli,Rohit,Gambhir or any of the other younger guys in the team.On the other hand the only senior stars in the team are Sachin and Sehwag.On Sehwag,I don't know if he will be around till 2015,But Sachin is already not playing more than a majority of ODI's.
Or are you talking about test team?
Well can you see India having a test captain and a seperate one day man? He will lose the test job and be bombed from the role in all forms of the game.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I guarantee you Dhoni will quit before the mere idea of him being sacked comes into play. More than any other captaincy role the Indian captaincy has an expiry date. Dhoni is near it. Especially when you consider he's been keeping.

Dravid and Sachin have given it up before, and Dhoni too will give it up. Of this I have no doubt.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I guarantee you Dhoni will quit before the mere idea of him being sacked comes into play. More than any other captaincy role the Indian captaincy has an expiry date. Dhoni is near it. Especially when you consider he's been keeping.

Dravid and Sachin have given it up before, and Dhoni too will give it up. Of this I have no doubt.
Dunno, myself. It's an incredibly tough gig captaining India; hopes and dreams of a billion people, etc. No disrespect to Sachin or Dravid, but Dhoni's made a much better fist of it. Who's next in line? Gambhir?

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Dunno, myself. It's an incredibly tough gig captaining India; hopes and dreams of a billion people, etc. No disrespect to Sachin or Dravid, but Dhoni's made a much better fist of it. Who's next in line? Gambhir?
Might be Gambhir or Kohli, Depends on when dhoni leaves captaincy

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know if Dhoni will be around by then but he should be around.

The best Indian captain that I have seen so far (Would like to see him captain after the stars leave to see if things happen to him the same way they happened to Ponting)

Burgey

Would he stay as captain in ODIs but give up the test gig? Strikes me as an enormously tough job captaining at test level and keeping.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I think Gambhir would be a stand in captain till someone younger takes over - Kohli or Raina seem to be the front runners for now. The choice would come down to who does well enough to justify his place in the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One would assume Sehwag based on being the incumbent vice-captain, then Gambhir, then Raina.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Gambhir would be a stand in captain till someone younger takes over - Kohli or Raina seem to be the front runners for now. The choice would come down to who does well enough to justify his place in the side.
Sounds like a recording-breakingly long reign for Gambhir then. :cool:

"It's the way I tell 'em."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No one would deny Dhoni has been far better than Dravid or Sachin. Doesn't mean he won't tire of it though. He already has two World Cups and at one time being no. 1 in the world. Eventually he will want to be free of the burden I'm sure.

Immediate next in line is Sehwag but Gambhir is the short-to-medium term replacement as Sehwag doesn't have long left.

There is a lot of talk of Kohli but there was a lot of talk about Mohammed Kaif many years ago as the future captain and we know how that worked out. Candidates pop up from nowhere so it could happen here. Kohli has the Michael Clarke "early annointed" tag but whether he will follow through like Clarke has... time will tell.