• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Match Summer News and Thoughts

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Wright set to rejig Black Caps batting order | Stuff.co.nz

Looks like we are moving to a 5 man bowling attack - or at least this is being considered. I strongly feel this is the wrong move. Our batting sucks so we are removing a batsman from our side is the logic.

That said I have no idea who I would drop from the team to make way for Vettori - Boult I guess since he was last on the train.

But what a tough call - I really like his bowling action now that I have had the chance to view it in detail (Boult's).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Vettori should be back in the side in place of Boult and the line up will be perfect.
This is what I think as well. But if they want to play 5 bowlers then what would you do.

All of a sudden Flem's idea of opening with Vettori doesn't seem so stupid. It will never happen though because if it fails Wright will be fired or put on a short leash.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Also - here is a big cheers to John Wright. He has been delivering the goods in his short reign.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Any of Ryder, Guptill or McCullum could make place for Vettori in my view. Ryder and McCullum lack application and Guptill is often found wanting technically.

It's frustrating because I think they have the talent to succeed at test level Saying that, I would give all three the NZ summer to cement their spot and look to drop a bowler. Harsh on (probably) Boult but playing 5 bowlers is a luxury we can't afford at the moment.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Any of Ryder, Guptill or McCullum could make place for Vettori in my view. Ryder and McCullum lack application and Guptill is often found wanting technically.

It's frustrating because I think they have the talent to succeed at test level Saying that, I would give all three the NZ summer to cement their spot and look to drop a bowler. Harsh on (probably) Boult but playing 5 bowlers is a luxury we can't afford at the moment.
If you drop Guptil or McCullum who would open?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
If you drop Guptil or McCullum who would open?
Probably Watling. I am not really a fan of his but he's a gritty player and we need (at least) one of the openers to be able to knuckle down.

I don't think McCullums game will ever suit going in up front if I'm honest but I'd love him to crack it because an effective opener that can score as quickly as he can is worth it's weight in gold.

For me, if McCullum/Ryder/Guptill can't cut it v Zim/SA

Watling
Guptill/McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlee
Ryder/McCullum
Vettori
Keeper
Braces
Southee
Martin

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Thoughts?

Starts too late. :(
Having the first international in late January is disgusting! Bring back the Boxing Day Test!!!! The stupidest thing NZC has ever done. The Basin was always packed.

EDIT:
McCullum/Guptill/Williamson/Taylor/Brownlie/Vettori/Keeper (DbB vs KvW?)/Bracewell/Southee/Boult/Martin

For me, it's Guptill vs Ryder. I don't really want to see Ryder opening, so Guptill it is. No player should have a spot locked down and, while Ryder is a talent, he was poor in the Australian Tests. He deserves to get dropped. Boult did nothing wrong. And I see Vettori as more of a batsman who bowls atm.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Good thread. I was on a high after we won* in Hobart and then after reading literally everything written on the match until my head hurt I then found there was nothing to sustain my buzz... man. Neither domestic NZ ODs or Sri Lanka losing to South Africa are interesting enough so I've been surviving on scraps and the bickering in the India-Aus thread. :wacko:

The twelve going into each match is now, barring injury, locked in IMO**. Happy for them to decide 5th bowler vs 6th/7th batsman depending on pitch conditions and opposition.

The person to make way for Vettori IMO in order is:
Boult - pains me to say it but last-in first-out (and we can't drop Bracewell). If a bowler has to go it will be Boult. He will get another chance soon.
Ryder - Sloppy shots, head in the wrong place, can't bowl any more and fielding seems to be going downhill. He still has all the potential in the world but if we drop a batsman then 4,5,6 is Taylor, Brownlie, Vettori. Is not a top 3 batsman. Will probably punch another window if he gets dropped though. Seriously.
Guptill - only beats Ryder by virtue of being an opener and being an excellent fielder.
Williamson - HAS TO GO BACK TO 3. Or else doesn't make the side over Ryder.
Martin - he'll know when the time comes.

* just in case anybody had forgotten
** unless you want a different wicketkeeper, though I reckon give Young a little more time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The biggest problems with all four seamers playing are not the quality of the men batting eight down, but firstly the fact that Young really isn't good enough to bat seven, and secondly the question of who to drop from the middle order (or who to push up to open if Guptill gets dropped). It'd probably have to be Ryder at the moment, and I think that'd be a little harsh in general.

Ryder is certainly not an opener but he's a far better batsman than Guptill and would probably make more runs opening than Guptill regardless IMO. It becomes a question of whether you think making him force his way back into the side as a middle order batsman (and that too would still have to be ahead of Brownlie, Williams or Taylor..) would be more beneficial medium-term than converting him into an opener of debatable quality.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ryder did score that record for sixes in his big hundred against parts of the Australian Test attack...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ryder did score that record for sixes in his big hundred against parts of the Australian Test attack...
Yeah but it was a road on a teacup and that attack really wasn't very good despite what happened in the Test series. He also did a lot of against Smith IIRC. Don't think it should count for much.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but it was a road on a teacup and that attack really wasn't very good despite what happened in the Test series. He also did a lot of against Smith IIRC. Don't think it should count for much.
We aren't picking a team to play on a green top though. We're picking a team to play in modern Test cricket and for the most part the game today is played on roads.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Surely the solution is simply having McCullum drop down and retake the gloves, then have Vettori come in for Young. **** knows who would open but its the most logical step

I'd actually be tempted to open with Brownlie given his recent performance

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We aren't picking a team to play on a green top though. We're picking a team to play in modern Test cricket and for the most part the game today is played on roads.
I don't think scoring a quickfire ton in a meaningless practice match, scoring the bulk of your runs against Steve Smith, Michael Beer, Ben Cutting and Mitchell Starc should really count for much at all though. Sure, he's not going to get conditions like he did in the Brisbane and Hobart Tests either but they match typical Test match conditions a lot more than the ridiculous six-hitting innings did.