View Poll Results: Is Philander the new McGrath?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 13.16%
  • No

17 44.74%
  • Doug Bracewell FTW

16 42.11%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Philander the new McGrath?

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar

Is Philander the new McGrath?

He has bowled as good as, if not better than Steyn in his short international career which takes quite some doing

Will he able to emulate the pigeon, or be unable to sustain the brilliant performance in his initial few tests?

Honestly, let's see how he does on a track that doesn't help bowlers first. I know it sounds petty but he's halfway through his third Test...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Probably

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I would say he is better than McGrath. Has definitely shown more than McGrath did in his whole test career imo.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    I'm probably Philander's greatest admirer on this forum, but even I'd say that let's not get carried away. A few more games and a couple more years are needed before passing a judgment.

That said, he comes across more as a swing and seam exponent than a back-of-the-length unbelievably accurate metronome that McGrath was. A swing bowler would tend to concede more runs than the McGrath, Ambrose types and you'll find that reflected in their average.
    Last edited by Outswinger@Pace; 15-12-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Let's wait until he plays on a pitch that isn't a greentop against batsmen who actually know which way up to hold the bit of wood they walk to the middle with.

He is always going to be a potent force in home conditions against any team. I can't comment on how he's going to fare on flat decks. But if you want a wild speculation - I can put some (not much) money on him ending up witha better SR and a higher ER than McGrath provided I get a lucrative betting ratio.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Awful thread. Almost as bad as the one the Australians here created where they proclaimed Phil Hughes “The Prince” and were considering would it be 60 or a 70 test match batting average he would end up with.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    No.

He is the new Philander.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Awful thread. Almost as bad as the one the Australians here created where they proclaimed Phil Hughes “The Prince” and were considering would it be 60 or a 70 test match batting average he would end up with.
    lol, the nickname 'The Prince' had absolutely nothing to do with his cricket, buddy. In fact I created it before he had played a single international match.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Why? I am not passing a judgement that Philander would be as good as McGrath, just eliciting opinions whether he will be able to sustain his great performance over longer periods ala the pigeon

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    I'm probably Philander's greatest admirer on this forum, but even I'd say that let's not get carried away. A few more games and a couple more years are needed before passing a judgment.

That said, he comes across more as a swing and seam exponent than a back-of-the-length unbelievably accurate metronome that McGrath was. A swing bowler would tend to concede more runs than the McGrath, Ambrose types and you'll find that reflected in their average.
    This

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    CPL database is never wrong. Philander ftfw.

265 wickets @ 19.72 - not sure how many bowlers of the last 15 years can boast of such a record in FC cricket. He should have had his debut a year or so ago - before the likes of Tsotsobe surely.

Have a feeling that we're witnessing the beginning of a bloody special bowler, itbt.

Philander to average under 25 at home, at least. Will be itstl to see him bowl away. One that'll stick around for a while.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information