• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Philander the new McGrath?

Is Philander the new McGrath?

• Total voters

ganeshran

International Debutant
He has bowled as good as, if not better than Steyn in his short international career which takes quite some doing

Will he able to emulate the pigeon, or be unable to sustain the brilliant performance in his initial few tests?

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly, let's see how he does on a track that doesn't help bowlers first. I know it sounds petty but he's halfway through his third Test...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would say he is better than McGrath. Has definitely shown more than McGrath did in his whole test career imo.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I'm probably Philander's greatest admirer on this forum, but even I'd say that let's not get carried away. A few more games and a couple more years are needed before passing a judgment.

That said, he comes across more as a swing and seam exponent than a back-of-the-length unbelievably accurate metronome that McGrath was. A swing bowler would tend to concede more runs than the McGrath, Ambrose types and you'll find that reflected in their average.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Let's wait until he plays on a pitch that isn't a greentop against batsmen who actually know which way up to hold the bit of wood they walk to the middle with.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He is always going to be a potent force in home conditions against any team. I can't comment on how he's going to fare on flat decks. But if you want a wild speculation - I can put some (not much) money on him ending up witha better SR and a higher ER than McGrath provided I get a lucrative betting ratio.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Awful thread. Almost as bad as the one the Australians here created where they proclaimed Phil Hughes “The Prince” and were considering would it be 60 or a 70 test match batting average he would end up with.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Awful thread. Almost as bad as the one the Australians here created where they proclaimed Phil Hughes “The Prince” and were considering would it be 60 or a 70 test match batting average he would end up with.
lol, the nickname 'The Prince' had absolutely nothing to do with his cricket, buddy. In fact I created it before he had played a single international match.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Why? I am not passing a judgement that Philander would be as good as McGrath, just eliciting opinions whether he will be able to sustain his great performance over longer periods ala the pigeon

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
I'm probably Philander's greatest admirer on this forum, but even I'd say that let's not get carried away. A few more games and a couple more years are needed before passing a judgment.

That said, he comes across more as a swing and seam exponent than a back-of-the-length unbelievably accurate metronome that McGrath was. A swing bowler would tend to concede more runs than the McGrath, Ambrose types and you'll find that reflected in their average.
This

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
265 wickets @ 19.72 - not sure how many bowlers of the last 15 years can boast of such a record in FC cricket. He should have had his debut a year or so ago - before the likes of Tsotsobe surely.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Have a feeling that we're witnessing the beginning of a bloody special bowler, itbt.

Philander to average under 25 at home, at least. Will be itstl to see him bowl away. One that'll stick around for a while.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Does anyone know why Philander had to wait so long to get a test cap? He is already 26 and a great FC record too

kingkallis

International Coach
Let him play at least 25 games and then we can start comparing him with ATGs...

3 5fers in 3 test is pretty solid but all came on bowling friendly turfs.

kingkallis

International Coach
Does anyone know why Philander had to wait so long to get a test cap? He is already 26 and a great FC record too
He played a few limited over games and did not look 'THAT' good to play the test cricket. When he was selected, I was like WTF, why Philander? The guy is good though. Lets see how he bowls in England.