• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Philander the new McGrath?

Is Philander the new McGrath?

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I think part of the reason why Philander, Cummins, Pattinson, Bracewell, Umesh Yadav, Kyle Jarvis and others look so good to our eyes is because of the filth they are viewed against.

Think about all the useless c***s that have been masquerading as phaaasssst bowlers in the last three years or so - Sree****, *itch Johnson, Daren Powell, Sami, Ridiculously Poor Singh, So so be, Mithun (seriously, a test player ??:@) and quite a few others.

Given that we are emerging from such a worldwide vacuum of quality pace bowlers, this bunch looks like manna sent from heaven. Not to say that these guys aren't actually good; they are but this magnifying factor, if you will, must be taken into consideration as well.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think part of the reason why Philander, Cummins, Pattinson, Bracewell, Umesh Yadav, Kyle Jarvis and others look so good to our eyes is because of the filth they are viewed against.

Think about all the useless c***s that have been masquerading as phaaasssst bowlers in the last three years or so - Sree****, *itch Johnson, Daren Powell, Sami, Ridiculously Poor Singh, So so be, Mithun (seriously, a test player ??:@) and quite a few others.

Given that we are emerging from such a worldwide vacuum of quality pace bowlers, this bunch looks like manna sent from heaven. Not to say that these guys aren't actually good; they are but this magnifying factor, if you will, must be taken into consideration as well.
Exactly. As I have said before, the likes of Sylvester Clarke and Fannie De Villiers were probably born in the wrong era. They would have been worshipped if they were, say, 22 years old now.

smash84

The Tiger King

Tbf Sami has been around for at least 10 years.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Exactly. As I have said before, the likes of Sylvester Clarke and Fannie De Villiers were probably born in the wrong era. They would have been worshipped if they were, say, 22 years old now.
Spot on! And to think that Vincent v/d Bijl never played a test. How many tests have Agarkar and Sami managed between them? Damning! :@

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Spot on! And to think that Vincent v/d Bijl never played a test. How many tests have Agarkar and Sami managed between them? Damning! :@
I always wondered how Mike Procter would have fared as a bowler if he played more than 80 tests, for example. I think Vernon Philander might answer that question of mine. He's closer to Procter in the type of bowler he is than to Donald or Steyn.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I always wondered how Mike Procter would have fared as a bowler if he played more than 80 tests, for example. I think Vernon Philander might answer that question of mine.
You'd probably know this better than I, but I always believed that Procter of the pre-1975 period would have been as lethal a force as any in world cricket. Once he had those knee problems (and the man was big-boned which didn't help) and lost pace, his bowling lost that sting. Still a mighty fine all-rounder.

Personally believe that he was somewhat overrated as a batsman and woefully underrated as a bowler. Open-chested, bowling from around the wicket, angling it away off the wrong foot at blinding speed - I'm certain I have no wish to pad up to him. :D People who've seen him in his pomp to comment better on the issue. I am all ears!

ganeshran

International Debutant
@popepouri:

Whoa, he seems to have been awfully unfit. Good on him to improve by leaps and bounds

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Philander is not even Half Anderson,let alone Mcgrath who was a genuine quickie early in his career when he shared the new ball with Mcdermot

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Worth waiting a bit till he has played away from home and against some sides with batting line ups that don't fold as easily as Sri lanka and Australia do at present.

Lostman

State Captain
Tbh, all batting sides now fold if the ball moves a fraction. They are so unprepared to face seam/swing.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol, the comparisons have already started.
Yeah, was always going to happen though. I'd say on what I have seen so far that Pattinson has impressed me more than Philander in the ridiculously short time we have had to make a comparison. Does this mean Pattinson is the new Dennis Lillee? :wacko:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yeah, was always going to happen though. I'd say on what I have seen so far that Pattinson has impressed me more than Philander in the ridiculously short time we have had to make a comparison. Does this mean Pattinson is the new Dennis Lillee? :wacko:
Agreed, Pattinson was more impressive.