• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh deserve Test Status

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
SL debut Senanayake FFS 48W @ 22.41 in A team matches.
Migara to agree.

Honestly Bangladesh aren't doing any worse lately, it's just that they aren't improving as much as any fan of Bangladesh would hope for. The main reason for this is that they have continued to select young Cricketers, so they are building for the future all the time.

Right now though, I really believe that they are developing a decent core group of players who will be okay in a few years time.

Lets look towards the year 2015 and the ages that the potential key group of players will be: Shakib (27), Tamim (25), Mushfiqur (26), Elias Sunny (29), Nazimuddin (29), Mahmudullah (28), Shafiul (25).

Those ages all seem to be around a players prime, some of the players will have played close to 50 Test matches by then, so if the core group can stick together and hopefully they unearth a quality pacer they could be reasonable team.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
And I don't understand why ICC needs to spend money on countries like India, Australia, England who have got more than enough of their own sources through FTP. The money is there. It is not well spent.
If those countries agree to do away with their share of the pot then you will have no argument from me - that may be the solution you seek.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Considering how money-driven cricket is I would've thought that would be a primary concern when considering the test status of nations, and given India have never hosted Bangladesh in tests I question whether there is much money generated from them playing tests either.

One common statement made about test cricket these days is that lopsided test series should be avoided - which pretty much cuts out 6 of Bangladesh's potential opponents. Australia have played just 4 tests against them, the last in 2006, and when even teams like Sri Lanka and New Zealand are given two-match series in Australia I really can't see CA being in a rush to have Bangladesh here again.

Does test cricket need to have everyone playing each other within a timeframe? If not then bring in a couple more teams like Ireland or Afghanistan and give Bangladesh more opposition at their level to play against. This may devalue test cricket and in particular the statistical side of things but should that really be a consideration when trying to expand the sport?

jashan83

U19 Captain
If those countries agree to do away with their share of the pot then you will have no argument from me - that may be the solution you seek.
That is there if the world was ideal :) but sadly it is not so. The solution is simple. Under present system, funding based on merit. You play good you get a chance to move up and play badly u get relegated. In lower tiers less funding, higher tiers higher funding. That will push all:- The teams, boards to get the best out of their teams and not like the present situation where Mr Loita of BCB or Mr Chinkbugra (Don't rem the name) of ZC are sitting at one position doing nothing but getting loads of funding. No pressure on them where they are more to blame for what state BD or Zim are in. No fault of the players

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Does test cricket need to have everyone playing each other within a timeframe? If not then bring in a couple more teams like Ireland or Afghanistan and give Bangladesh more opposition at their level to play against. This may devalue test cricket and in particular the statistical side of things but should that really be a consideration when trying to expand the sport?
Two many lop sided series if Afghan and Ireland join as well.

Also why are we keen on expanding the number of test playing nations when I first started watching neither SL or SA were playing. So now we have two additional good sides. We are working on getting two more sides - Zimbos and Bangers - lets get them up to speed first.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Two many lop sided series if Afghan and Ireland join as well.

Also why are we keen on expanding the number of test playing nations when I first started watching neither SL or SA were playing. So now we have two additional good sides. We are working on getting two more sides - Zimbos and Bangers - lets get them up to speed first.
Great to hear that you have been watching test since 80's :) "Respect". I will put my point this way, yes 2 good teams added. Let us have the potential teams in a second Tier. The top one get a chance to move up. In meantime keep giving them exposure of FC against A teams of Tier 1 teams.

Even the Bangladesh coach has said the same thing Pakistan in Bangladesh 2011-12: Stuart Law says Bangladesh should play more four-day games | Cricket News | Bangladesh v Pakistan | ESPN Cricinfo I hope it happens soon

In that way we are preparing teams in the right way and launching them. Also we are not killing interest in Test Cricket. As of now the interest seems to be waining due to lopsided tests. This is what needs to be corrected. If we see that Zimbos or Banglas or Irish are becoming cut above the rest expand the Tier 1. If any of these teams become the level of say Windies or Kiwis who would not want to play them. We will see Indians or Aussies inviting them

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
They won the Intercontinental Trophy in a tournament which had Zimbabwe playing. This was the similar Zimbabwe line up which now plays tests and defeated Banglas and played nicely with NZ

The Zimbos did not even reach the final of that tournament :wacko:.
:)
The Zimbabwean team that played in that Inter continental cup was an 'A' side which featured some out of form national team players.

And, the reason Zimbabwe 'A' failed to qualify was because they had to forfeit their match against Scots as the Scots refused to tour Zimbabwe for political reasons.

On topic, I don't think the Bangers should be demoted. All that needs to be done is to change the administration and restructure the FC system.

Jacknife

International Captain
Bangladesh A already plays more A teams than seemingly anyone else.

Since the start of 2006 the unofficial Tests played for the A teams (including touring Test teams ie NZers):
Sri Lanka A 22
Bangladesh A 20
West Indies A 16
South Africa A 16
England A 6 + England Lions 9 = 15
India A 14 (but including 2 vs Kenya A and 2 vs a Zimbabwe Select XI that sounds a bit dubious)
Australia A 14
Pakistan A 12
Zimbabwe A 9 (includes Kenya select XI but doesn't include 2 vs. SA academy)
NZ A 7

Give them MORE A TEAM MATCHES!!!
Wasn't suggesting Bang A play more games, more that it may be a idea that Bang first team play A sides from the likes of India, England, Aus, & SA. Not that I could ever see the ICC arranging such a thing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Zimbabwean team that played in that Inter continental cup was an 'A' side which featured some out of form national team players.

And, the reason Zimbabwe 'A' failed to qualify was because they had to forfeit their match against Scots as the Scots refused to tour Zimbabwe for political reasons.

On topic, I don't think the Bangers should be demoted. All that needs to be done is to change the administration and restructure the FC system.
I was under the impression that Zimbabwe forfeited it to allow Scotland into the final as Scotland would benefit more from it.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, Bangladesh's inability to cope with test status I reckon is as much down to the lack of a properly thought out strategy on the ICC's part. But what really grinds my gears is why test status should affect the amount of participation fees, prize money and qualification for Limited Overs Competitions.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Well, Bangladesh's inability to cope with test status I reckon is as much down to the lack of a properly thought out strategy on the ICC's part. But what really grinds my gears is why test status should affect the amount of participation fees, prize money and qualification for Limited Overs Competitions.
This. Test status should not become a sort of elite club whose members get treated better than everyone else.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wasn't suggesting Bang A play more games, more that it may be a idea that Bang first team play A sides from the likes of India, England, Aus, & SA. Not that I could ever see the ICC arranging such a thing.
But surely if that would help Bangladesh A and the players in that team would have improved?

M0rphin3

International Debutant
^ i have re-read your posts - i think bangers deserve test status based on how they have played in the past 2 years ever since tamim and shakib started firing. I am alarmed how they have taken a step back. I am hoping this is temporary.

I think zimbos deserve test status based on how well they played nz.

Therefore i don't think we need a two tier system you have proposed.

If this means they are treated in a superior fashion to ireland so be it. We need to concentrate our investments rather than spreading them around.

Once we give up on bangers then we can do a second tier of tests like you have proposed. But it is not that time yet.
awta.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Him and Jayed will probs be in the Test team within a year.
IMO if they select their best XI, they'd sure be way more competitive. They instead keep on going back to Ashraful and the likes - Nazimuddin, Nasir et al should've been in the team way back.

Flem274*

123/5
Shuvagoto Hom is h4x on ICC. Obviously Bangladesh are missing out on a fantastic player in real life.

weak in terms of economics. We can't expect to keep on producing quality cricketers if an average domestic continues to earn just 10k per month, a lot of talent is lost due to lower pay scales for the domestic cricketers.
10k per month? Where do I sign?:p