• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Box Day Test Team

iamdavid

International Debutant
Christian....Proven "All rounder" at FC level and I believe unlucky,or lucky depending on how you look at it,not to have made the team for Hobart
Ronchi/Wade.....Hard to split these two as keeper.If selectors are looking for a batsman/stumper then Ronchi is the man.If,on the other hand they want a good keeper who can occasionally score some valuable runs then Wade is the answer.Personally I prefer Wade but then I may be biased.
Ronchi wouldn't make Australia's 4th XI at the moment, and Wade's strength is obviously his batting, there are several better pure 'keepers' than him (Paine and Hartley to name two).

Christian's not up to test cricket, granted he's made two hundreds this year, but if you look at his whole FC career it's clear his batting isn't test top 7 standard and his bowling would only be slightly more useful than Hussey's. Might have a role to play in ODIs/T20s, but not tests. If they needed a short-term replacement for Watson I'd rather they went with McDonald (despite poor form) or hell even Henriques or Marsh (as they may well develop into test-standard players).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe people are after Hussey's head! If there's one batsman I would take in the Aussie team based on the class and form of last 2 years or so, it will be Hussey (yes, slightly ahead of Clarke)...especially after considering that he plays better at home conditions. People are reacting as if Australia has 10 batsmen yet to debut with FC averages over 60! Be realistic, people!

About Ponting one can understand, but not Hussey...Even after saying so, I have a bad feeling that Ponting might find back his touch against India :( .

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe people are after Hussey's head! If there's one batsman I would take in the Aussie team based on the class and form of last 2 years or so, it will be Hussey (yes, slightly ahead of Clarke)...especially after considering that he plays better at home conditions. People are reacting as if Australia has 10 batsmen yet to debut with FC averages over 60! Be realistic, people!

About Ponting one can understand, but not Hussey...Even after saying so, I have a bad feeling that Ponting might find back his touch against India :( .
I'm not after his head just I think he will get axed before Ponting does to make room for someone else in the failing batting line up.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
1. Delta Goodrem
2. Jessica Alba
3. Jennifer Connolly
4. Vanessa Amorosi
5. Second high school crush
6. First uni crush
7. Either one of the Veronicas
8. Chick who takes my bus
9. Kate Winslet
10. Liz Hurley
11. Mavis Murphy

Would be my ideal box test.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Out of curiosity, why do you think this is the case?

Is it because of their delusional faith in Paine and his status as the annointed one? Or is there something in Wade's game they're not convinced about?
Mainly the former, but Wade also can't shake some concerns about his keeping. Athletic, great hand eye co-ordination but doesn't have "keepers' hands", struggles a bit up to the stumps.

JBMAC

State Captain
1. Delta Goodrem
2. Jessica Alba
3. Jennifer Connolly
4. Vanessa Amorosi
5. Second high school crush
6. First uni crush
7. Either one of the Veronicas
8. Chick who takes my bus
9. Kate Winslet
10. Liz Hurley
11. Mavis Murphy

Would be my ideal box test.

Your #10 could be uncomfortable if a well known leg spinner is ther:):)

howardj

International Coach
With the Kat looking like being recalled, the batting lineup will almost certainly be:

Katich
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey/Ponting

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Marsh has pretty much been scratched, mate.
Watson to three, Ponting four and that's about the size of it, I'd guess.

Pretty amazing volte face on Katich tho. On purely cricketing grounds he has a good case (although an average of under 40 for the season doesn't quite demand selection), but on cricketing grounds he shouldn't have got the arse in the first place.

howardj

International Coach
Marsh has pretty much been scratched, mate.
Oops, in that case....

Warner
Katich
Usman
Watson
Clarke
Ponting/Hussey

It doesn't surprise me, Clarke advocating Katich's recall.

I think the key to understanding Clarke is that he is a very proud person, who sets high standards and is result-driven. He just wants to win as captain, and anybody he thinks that can assist with that is a welcome addition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oops, in that case....

Warner
Katich
Usman
Watson
Clarke
Ponting/Hussey

It doesn't surprise me, Clarke advocating Katich's recall.

I think the key to understanding Clarke is that he is a very proud person, who sets high standards and is result-driven. He just wants to win as captain, and anybody he thinks that can assist with that is a welcome addition.
Khawaja ahead of Hussey or Ponting? Hasn't done nearly enough for my money. I'd want firmer evidence than 1 fifty in 6 (IIRC) tests to be ditching chaps with thousands of test runs at better than 50 a go, ordinary current form notwithstanding.