• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid - War Memorial Speech

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
WAG!

A perfectionist in his trade, erudite, sophisticated, articulate and good looking. How can a woman not fall for him? Swear he could convert me some day. :ph34r:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
The only bit of history quoted there that I'm not proud of:

We share something else other than cricket. Before they played the first Test match against each other, Indians and Australians fought wars together, on the same side.
But that's a non-cricketing issue and not exactly relevant to this forum. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Class act is Dravid.

If anyone hasn't been there, or is thinking of visiting Australia, the AWM is a must see. A great museum.

Downside is it's in Canberra. You've been warned.

JBMAC

State Captain
The only bit of history quoted there that I'm not proud of:

But that's a non-cricketing issue and not exactly relevant to this forum. :)
I don't know what Planet you are on sunshine all he was doing was drawing an anology between the two countries and quite rightly and appropriately as well.Your objection to content when the Oration was made at the Australian War Memorial is ill founded

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I don't know what Planet you are on sunshine all he was doing was drawing an anology between the two countries and quite rightly and appropriately as well.Your objection to content when the Oration was made at the Australian War Memorial is ill founded
I get that part. It's just that Dravid's purpose was to discuss the sport and maybe he could have done without mentioning that piece of war history. Different people feel differently about the association and The War itself, as you would appreciate.

Regardless, it's an irrelevant point and I wish to end this right here. Back to the great game! :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I get that part. It's just that Dravid's purpose was to discuss the sport and maybe he could have done without mentioning that piece of war history. Different people feel differently about the association and The War itself, as you would appreciate.

Regardless, it's an irrelevant point and I wish to end this right here. Back to the great game! :)
I thought it tied in nicely to Bradman and Australia and Indja's shared heritage.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought it tied in nicely to Bradman and Australia and Indja's shared heritage.
As Outswinger said, it is not something many are proud of... You just gotta understand there were millions of Indians who simply hated the colonists. Simple as. So it is not really the best thing to say in that context at all. He could have easily avoided it.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No coincidence he used the word 'benchmark' more than once in his speech #betterthantherestofyou

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Amazing speech apart from the WW reference. Loved the bits where he talked about Indian cricket and its caricature. The people who like to parade that they are not anti-Indian cricket by saying how much they love the man, should actually try reading and understanding that part. Might just have a bit more appreciation for what even a guy like Harbhajan goes through...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As Outswinger said, it is not something many are proud of... You just gotta understand there were millions of Indians who simply hated the colonists. Simple as. So it is not really the best thing to say in that context at all. He could have easily avoided it.
As did some Australians. India and Australia have a shared colonial heritage, and Indians enjoying Bradman getting it up the Poms is part of that cricketing heritage, which I thought Dravid tied in quite nicely.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As did some Australians. India and Australia have a shared colonial heritage, and Indians enjoying Bradman getting it up the Poms is part of that cricketing heritage, which I thought Dravid tied in quite nicely.
That part was fine. But India were made to participate in WW 1 esp. against their wishes. I am unaware of how it was for Australia but it is not a topic people are proud of and is best avoided.